BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Bent front control arms

More
21 Feb 2012 05:14 #33938 by saxj
Bent front control arms was created by saxj
Have any of you bent the front control arms, and what did you do about it?

At least three of us in our club have bent a front control arm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Feb 2012 08:02 #33944 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: Bent front control arms
Unfortunately, unless they are bent in a controlled environment, the bend will have weakened them. I would therefore be inclined to replace with an un-bent arm - just for safety sake.

I imagine they have bent because of pushing the articulation too far. One simple mod which will relieve much of the stress is to use what are known as 'slotted bushes'.

Where the arms join on to the axle, they are held on by two bolts through rubber bushes. If you remove some of the rubber above and below the bolt on one bush on each side (if you slot both bushes it makes the handling terrible), it will allow quite a lot of extra articulation before the arms bend.

For Land Rovers, companies such as SuperPro sell pre-slotted bushes (and may well for Suzuki as well?) but it's just as easy to drill the rubber out yourself.

Si

More
21 Feb 2012 09:00 #33947 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Re: Bent front control arms

X-Eng Simon wrote: I imagine they have bent because of pushing the articulation too far. One simple mod which will relieve much of the stress is to use what are known as 'slotted bushes'.

Thanks Si,

However, I run at stock height with the anti-roll bar disconnected. The other two guys are running 40-50mm lift with anti-roll bar in place.

Vic

More
21 Feb 2012 09:28 #33950 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: Bent front control arms
The standard Suzuki bushes are "slotted" as standard and there is a guide to fitting them in the correct orientation in the manual.

The only way forward would be to get stronger arms, a number of suppliers (including Off-Road Armory - click the ad above) do them.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Feb 2012 10:58 #33954 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: Bent front control arms
The original bushes on my front were solid! It may be that some aftermarket parts are not like the others.

Rear were slotted - but there was still potential for slotting them some more!

Stronger arms may cure the symptom, but not the cause. Whereas increasing the movement in the bushes reduces the stress in everything.

Although it requires a bit more fabrication, keeping the original arms and making an X-Link or Cross link setup would achieve much better articulation and be fairly easy to construct on a Jimny.

Si

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds