BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

MSA Engine Kill Switch - wiring options?

• X-Eng Simon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2012 20:32 #33817 by X-Eng Simon
MSA Engine Kill Switch - wiring options? was created by X-Eng Simon
Today I fitted an appropriate battery isolator switch which incorporates an engine kill switch to my Jimny (1999, Spanish Built model).

Normally you would just wire the kill switch in line with the coil - but with an electronic distributor less ignition system, it's not quite so simple!

Is there a preferred way of wiring this? The options that immediately occur to me are:
Kill power to injectors (by switching off common negative)
Kill power to ECU - the question is where?

Any thoughts?

Si

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2012 09:11 #33853 by kirkynut
Fuel pump? Or would it not stop immediately due to the pressure still in the fuel rail etc?

The general battery supply to the engine. You'll not have a radio to reset I'm guessing.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• X-Eng Simon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Feb 2012 09:35 #33857 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: MSA Engine Kill Switch - wiring options?
If the pump in the tank is high pressure & feeds the injectors directly, then switching it off would kill the engine immediately. If there is a secondary high pressure pump - then not. I'm afraid I don't have much of a handle on the Suzuki engine configuration!

Si

More
20 Feb 2012 09:59 #33862 by kirkynut
I think there is only the one in the tank.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• suzuki_ed
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Feb 2012 19:10 #33980 by suzuki_ed
Replied by suzuki_ed on topic Re: MSA Engine Kill Switch - wiring options?
Have it as a battery kill switch. That turns the ECU of and turns the engine off. Probably not the best way to do it but it works.

The one I'm stuck on is the non return valve on the breath of the fuel tank. Does it even have a breather on there?

• X-Eng Simon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Feb 2012 19:50 #33983 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: MSA Engine Kill Switch - wiring options?
Just disconnecting the battery is unreliable because the Alternator can generate enough electricity for it to carry on regardless. I'm going to go for switching off the fuel pump instead.

The fuel tank certainly does have a breather. On mine it ran in to the driver side rear wheel arch. I will extend it along with the other breathers and add the fuel shut off valve when I build the external cage.

Si

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds