BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Newbie 4WD Question

• Val W
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2012 09:32 #32690 by Val W
Newbie 4WD Question was created by Val W
Hi, bought my "w" reg Jimny 9 months ago from a disabled lady, only 20k m and in showroom condition.

Just today got to test the 4WD system in the snow. Engaged 4WD, got the light on the dash, front wheels spinning but rear wheels stationary?

I'm confused, seems like the 4WD hasn't engaged but the manual says in 2WD the rear wheels only are driven yet mine were stationary, there was clearly drive only to the front?

Have been reading up on the air locking hubs but don't understand what's happening here?

Help appreciated?

Thanks

Val

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jo king
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2012 09:45 - 05 Feb 2012 09:51 #32692 by jo king
Replied by jo king on topic Re: Newbie 4WD Question
When in 2wd the power goes too the rear wheels only.
When in 4wd the power goes too the front as well as the back.
If you get a friend to look at the rear wheels when you are in the same situation then he or she will see that one of the rear wheel will be spinning.

Last edit: 05 Feb 2012 09:51 by jo king.

• Val W
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2012 10:29 #32700 by Val W
Replied by Val W on topic Re: Newbie 4WD Question
Ok thanks, done that, on shallow snow I engage 4wd and pull away sharply causing wheel spin and can see all 4 wheels slipping so clearly 4wd is engaged.

When I got stuck in deeper snow I saw the front wheels spinning and the rear stationary so the system has taken power away from the rear, is this normaL? The snow wasn't that deep so it was very disappointing to get stuck?

Val

• jo king
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2012 10:53 #32709 by jo king
If power is going to the front then that means power is dfinately going to the back no ifs or buts.
And if the front wheels are slipping then that means one of the wheels has lost traction at the back so power is lost through the spinning wheel. It sounds like everything is fine with your system.

More
05 Feb 2012 10:55 #32710 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: Newbie 4WD Question
There is no system that sends the drive to only the front or rear, it's all mechanical and there is no centre differential the split the power front and rear, both front and rear get equal drive when in 4wd.

What is happening is that your front wheels have no grip so are spinning and your rear passenger wheel, which you can't see from the driver's seat is spinning.

Your rear driver's wheel will have no drive to it due to the way a differential works as above, all the drive is being spun out through the slipping rear passenger one.

You shouldn't be getting stuck though.

Put it in 4wd high on snow and be gentle bringing up the clutch to gently feed the power in, rather than wheel spin.

How much tread do you have on your tyres?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• wanderinstar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2012 10:59 #32711 by wanderinstar
Replied by wanderinstar on topic Re: Newbie 4WD Question
With the Suzuki you get the drive split in 2 equally So 1/2 goes to the front wheels and the other half goes to the back. This is because there is not a differential in the transfer box. (This divides the power up and also via gears gives you high and low 4wd.) I cannot understand why you had both front wheels spinning and both rear wheels stationary, Did you have someone outside vehicle watching the rear wheels? If not then the o/side rear wheel may have been stationary while the n/side rear may have been on a patch of ice under snow and been spinning like mad.

• jo king
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2012 11:02 #32713 by jo king
Thanks KirKnut for simplyfying what I am trying to say..:)
Its to early for questions.
Kirknut is spot on. best advice so take it.

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2012 14:12 #32739 by Paul4x4
Replied by Paul4x4 on topic Re: Newbie 4WD Question
What everybody is trying to explain is that even though the car is 4wd, there's only one wheel spinning on each axle when you get stuck. That's why there's after market diff locker's you can buy to get REAL four wheel drive.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2012 21:33 #32791 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Newbie 4WD Question

Paul4x4 wrote: What everybody is trying to explain is that even though the car is 4wd, there's only one wheel spinning on each axle when you get stuck. That's why there's after market diff locker's you can buy to get REAL four wheel drive.

all 4x4s are the same even land rovers
to fully lock the diff you need a difflocker
however you can get a long way by improving your driving technique
there are some offroad driving dvds that are worth a watch to polish your skills

• Val W
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2012 07:36 #32807 by Val W
Replied by Val W on topic Re: Newbie 4WD Question
Thanks all, I understand now, yes I was on my own in the car and could only see the front o/s wheel spinning while the rear o/s was stationary.

The tyres are nearly new so it was disappointing to get stuck, there was a small ridge of snow behind the front tyres as I was trying to reverse which caused the problem.

Val

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2012 07:42 #32809 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Newbie 4WD Question

Val W wrote: Thanks all, I understand now, yes I was on my own in the car and could only see the front o/s wheel spinning while the rear o/s was stationary.

The tyres are nearly new so it was disappointing to get stuck, there was a small ridge of snow behind the front tyres as I was trying to reverse which caused the problem.

Val

the other thing you could have done is let some air out of the yres if your stuck say from the normal 24 psi down to about 12psi - they will then grip better together with gentle use of the accelerator - just above stalling point

More
06 Feb 2012 20:56 #32867 by fast forward
theres a problem if you get stuck in a jimny i drove over north york moors in the snow which the mountain rescue had closed the road no probs pickering to whitby , :)

if you cant go round it go over it ! or vice versa ?

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds