BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Changing The Drive Shaft/ CV ?

More
31 Jan 2012 12:09 #32311 by Mud_Muppet
Hello peeps just found out to my delight that my drivers side front Cv is knackered due to the annoying noise on right lock and the thudin and clonking as im driving :(

Question is ive just bought a complete drive shaft from Kam breakers easier just to swap the shaft i think, do i need to get any new seals while ive got the axle apart i.e the swivel seals ????

Is it worth changing the wheel bearing ??? Obversly i would change if theres play !!

Cheers Dan

2001 Red Tin Top,
4.5 inch ORA lift kit,
Pro Comp steering damper
Kap Winch Bumper,
White Weller offset Rims with 30" Insa Turbo Special Tracks,
CB Radio,
Stripped Interia
Roof Rack with 4 front Wipac,
Rear Wipac recovery Lights
.....Plenty more on its way !!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2012 12:14 #32313 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: Changing The Drive Shaft/ CV ?
you are going to have the whole swivel apart so if it was me I would change kingpin bearings, driveshaft seal and swivel seal whilst its all apart.

But that starts to get expensive!

More
31 Jan 2012 13:31 #32315 by kirkynut
If you have bought a shaft and CV together, which i think you have, obviusly leave them as one and swap them over but as you have to take the kingpin bearings out, you may aswell replace them at the same time, not forgetting their races too and the axle oil seal which I think comes with BigJimny kingpin bearing sets.

Unless you have a specific reason to chnge the wheel bearing - such as it's showing signs of being worn, I'd leave it alone. It's easy to change in the future as you don't have to remove the steering knuckle as you will be for the shaft/CV replacement.

It is possible that your clicking CV just needed re-greasing though. I have had them run dry, re-greased them and they never caused me issue again.

You are not running your car in 4WD on the road though are you???

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
02 Feb 2012 08:47 #32447 by Mud_Muppet
Right under further investigation ive found out that the CV isnt as bad as i first thought, it clicks alright still but was making a thuding noise when driving, since then ive found out that the middle bolt on the leading arms was loose... Thuding now sorted, and yes im going to regrease just to prolong the change if i can !!!

I never drive on road with it in 4wd... Hardly ever drive offroad in 4wd... Always forget to engauge the freewheeling hubs till its to late lol

Cheers Dan

2001 Red Tin Top,
4.5 inch ORA lift kit,
Pro Comp steering damper
Kap Winch Bumper,
CB Radio,
Stripped Interia

More
03 Feb 2012 00:00 #32523 by kirkynut
Oh well, you'll have a spare now. Not a terrible situation to be in given the tyres you're running!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
03 Feb 2012 08:37 #32541 by Mud_Muppet
Yer i suppose, proberly need it sooner rather than later with this tryes im sure

2001 Red Tin Top,
4.5 inch ORA lift kit,
Pro Comp steering damper
Kap Winch Bumper,
CB Radio,
Stripped Interia

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds