× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

swivel joint seal

More
18 Apr 2010 17:31 #3157 by Iain
swivel joint seal was created by Iain
Does anyone know the cheapest place to get a swivel joint seal for a 2001 soft-top jimny, are they all they same?? are they sold on the big jimny shop?

Cheers Iain

I Love Waypoint Tours Holidays

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2010 17:50 #3158 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:swivel joint seal
I don't stock them as a guy on Ebay offers them really cheaply and I cannot compete.

The other reason is that I have never needed one, if you have a problem its usually something else other than the seal. Are you getting a gunge leaking around the swivel ball?

martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
18 Apr 2010 18:52 #3166 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:swivel joint seal
I replaced mine when I got my Jimny and have to say that they are fairing well, so I don't think they need replacing often. They keep things out, unlike Landrovers which keep oil or grease in!

If you have something coming out, I think what Martin is about to suggest is that your axle tube oil seal has given up the ghost, rather then your swivel seal and that it is washing out your bearing and CV grease.

Swivel ball seals are not that cheap but as Martin says, there is a guy on ebay selling them, who is a dealer and he has some on there now, so if you do need one I'd order from him quick.

Cheers

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
19 Apr 2010 05:16 #3172 by Iain
Replied by Iain on topic Re:swivel joint seal
All i am getting out is little drips of oil on the tyre, but not a lot,
I should take it apart first to see what is wrong, and ill have a look at the axle oil seal

cheers Iain

I Love Waypoint Tours Holidays

More
19 Apr 2010 06:21 #3175 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:swivel joint seal
Jack up the car and give the front wheel a good work out (wobble it with your hands top and bottom and side to side). I would suspect you have either worn kingpin bearings or a worn wheel bearing. The inner axle oil seal doesn't seem to fail on its own either, its usually something else such as the bearings giving it a hard time.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds