× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gearbox Drain Plug Key - what size

More
17 Apr 2010 15:11 #3147 by maverick
per title - what size Plug Key do i need?

Jalapeño, IISY?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2010 18:04 #3149 by kirkynut
3/4 inch ratchet with no socket on!

Not 100% snug in there but about the best you can do as far as I could see. If it rounds off, get a new one from Suzuki dealers for stupid money and set to it with a chisel to knock it round.
Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
18 Apr 2010 15:39 #3153 by maverick
Bought a 3/8" Drain Plug Key ... Man is that on tight!!!

Me thinks I'm taking it to local/friendly garage tomorrow, and getting them to undo it, and replace oil ... also asking them to fit a decent Drain Plug - one with a head on the OUTSIDE!!

Jalapeño, IISY?

More
18 Apr 2010 18:46 #3163 by kirkynut
I've known people to have to weld a nut on before in order to get them out.

I could not get my filler plug off and had it in mole grps, filed flats to the sides to grip to, knocked it with a cold chisel. The mole grips got it in the end but after a long time wearing an generally mucking about with it.

Make sure you have a new plug before you get the old one removed or you'll not be able to drive it!!! Don't count on your local dealer having one in stock either, mine didn't.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
19 Apr 2010 05:59 #3174 by maverick
Its at my local/friendly garage ... what with a ramp and air-tools - they should have a better chance!!

Jalapeño, IISY?

More
21 Apr 2010 15:36 #3209 by maverick
Jimny is back from the garage - Jeez they were not happy!!

They told me (when i went to pay) that had a b1tch of a time removing the drain plug to change the Gearbox oil for me... and they have air tools and a ramp!!

They've kindly re-fitted it with copper-slip to aid removal next time ...

They also said that it might be a good idea to get a new Drain Plug as the in-sides are awful -- maybe me (LOL) -- when i was underneath attempting to get it out!!??

I've contacted my local Suzuki-stealership (Wallasey - 5miles away) - a NEW replacement is just £7.... it should be here on Friday!!

Jalapeño, IISY?

• bryandenham
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Apr 2010 16:31 #3279 by bryandenham
Replied by bryandenham on topic Re:Gearbox Drain Plug Key - what size
just a little tip. try and remove the FILLER plug first cos otherwise you can be really stuck.
I've got an access door in the side of my transmission tunnel now and 17mm hexagon headed plugs, (i drilled a hole in the existing plugs and welded in a couple of bolts!)
To get the old plugs out I had to drill a hole in them and then knock in a tapered square bar with a tee bar on.

I'm after a two inch spring kit. Any body got one cos pro-comp seem to have stopped trading.

all the best from the Isle of Man. Bryan D

More
29 Apr 2010 17:16 #3280 by kirkynut
KAP and Rhino Ray do them too!

Kirkynut

More
01 May 2010 17:02 #3290 by maverick
got a new one from local SuzukiStealership - only £7

Jalapeño, IISY?

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds