BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny to many RPM on highway - Higher gear ratio

• peter5floor
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2012 13:29 #30359 by peter5floor
Hi Jimny people,

Great forum :).. Last wk I have bought a Jimny from 03´. I really like my new car but Im not too happy with the RPM it runs when im driving on highway, it cant be any good for such a small engine to run 4000 RPM for 1 hrs when going 100 km/h.

I know the car isnt build for highway use but I was thinking if there is a way to lower the RPM, maybe to change the geatset in the transfer case ??(dont want bigger tires) I have seen many sets avaible on the internet but only for lowering the ratio when putting on bigger tires :( havent seen any to get a higher ratio.

Hope that someone can help :)

Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• viciouspenguin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2012 13:35 - 09 Jan 2012 13:38 #30360 by viciouspenguin
Replied by viciouspenguin on topic Re: Jimny to many RPM on highway - Higher gear ratio
you can put bigger tyres on and not change the gears, but it will drive like a gutless pig.

you could always try driving slower?

4k rpm is fine, but it will drink fuel.

i think someone mentioned auto diffs had a higher ratio?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Last edit: 09 Jan 2012 13:38 by viciouspenguin.

• peter5floor
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2012 13:41 #30361 by peter5floor
Hi,

I dont want to change tires and dont want to go slower :) yes when im going 4000 RPM it drinks some fuel, thats also one of the reasons that I want a higher ratio.

Im not sure if it is easy to find anyway diffs from a automatic jimny here,.. it is already quite rare :)

• viciouspenguin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2012 13:45 #30362 by viciouspenguin
Replied by viciouspenguin on topic Re: Jimny to many RPM on highway - Higher gear ratio
i think you'll be hard pushed to find higher gears, you could always get some made. but i expect that would be expensive.

why did u buy the jimny?

• peter5floor
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2012 13:53 #30363 by peter5floor
Hm im not sure if I would get them made :) that would be $$$$

I like it for a long time and got a great opportunity to get one cheap.

I wanted to use it for mixed driving, .. weeksend for offroad(not hard) and during the wk to work which is around 80 km.

• viciouspenguin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2012 13:57 #30364 by viciouspenguin
i think your going to have to compromise and either drive slower, or pay for lots of fuel. or get a different car to drive to work :) or quit work and live in your jimny as an explorer?

• Laminak
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2012 14:02 - 09 Jan 2012 14:04 #30365 by Laminak

peter5floor wrote: I wanted to use it for mixed driving, .. weeksend for offroad(not hard) and during the wk to work which is around 80 km.

If you use a high gear ratio during a light off-road week-end, your jimny will become a gutless Pig :whistle: ...
My jimny is a stock model and my drive is not slower ;) ... the jimny is not a racing car :blink: but it is a muddy car :woohoo: ... You can make off-road, snow driving without modifications :evil:

A idee :P , change the engine (put a v8) and all parts of the transmission :silly: and you can practice high speed in all ground :silly: :silly:
Last edit: 09 Jan 2012 14:04 by Laminak.

• peter5floor
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2012 14:19 - 09 Jan 2012 14:25 #30366 by peter5floor
Hm, I like my Jimny and dont want to buy another car, .. also I dont think its a good idea to quit my job haha.

I just wanted to make a 50/50%,... Im not racing but just want to go 100 km/h without it sounds like im going 150 :)

Spil
Last edit: 09 Jan 2012 14:25 by peter5floor.

• viciouspenguin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2012 14:42 #30367 by viciouspenguin

peter5floor wrote: I just wanted to make a 50/50%,... Im not racing but just want to go 100 km/h without it sounds like im going 150 :)]

get a loud stereo,and a gabba cd.

• peter5floor
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2012 14:56 #30370 by peter5floor
Hm, better to try to fit my X5 transfer box on it :)

More
09 Jan 2012 15:59 #30378 by Obarno
There is a way you can have higher gearing in your car without too many problems and that is to fit a transfer box from a VVT manual car (post 2005). They are push button so you would need to figure a way of switching it but I wouldn't have thought it was too much of a problem. The downside is that your low ratio will be also be higher. Don't put auto diffs in they will lower your gearing.

Have a look at this and you will see what I mean

www.bigjimny.com/images/documents/transferboxratios.pdf

Just a thought!

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

• peter5floor
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2012 16:38 #30381 by peter5floor
Hi,

Yes I was also thinking about that option, these cases is also hard to find/expensive here :(

I would be more happy if anyone had made a geatset with high ratio like the lower ratio gearsets you can get.

I know the low gears is also going to be higher but thats not a problem since im not using my Jimny for hard offroad, only soft :)

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds