BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

exhaust dimensions

• myers647
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2011 21:34 #24994 by myers647
exhaust dimensions was created by myers647
Hi does anyone know the dimensions of the rear exhaust pipe. Im getting a small front exhaust box from a guy in leeds to replace the back box on my jimny, to make it sound a bit beefier, but he wants to know some dimensions width length etc so he can find me one suitable for the job. he is only charging me £15 including P&P which i think is a good price.

thanks

james

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Back in Black
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Nov 2011 06:06 #25131 by Back in Black
Replied by Back in Black on topic Re: exhaust dimensions
I'll do some measuring tomorrow and let you know. I'd be interested in what he comes up with, I'm in need of a replacement, and want a smaller back box.

I'll update when I've got the dimensions

• myers647
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Nov 2011 09:06 #25136 by myers647
Replied by myers647 on topic Re: exhaust dimensions
Thanks mate let me know. Il see what he comes up with and let you know the results.

Cheers
James

• Back in Black
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Nov 2011 13:55 #25189 by Back in Black
Hi. The original box is 16.5" long and is oval at 9" wide and 6" high (overall length of the box - including the inlet to the exit is around 23"). The bore of the exhaust pipe is 4cm/1.5". Where the box connects to the pipe there is a collar type thing on the pipe and the box where they bolt together. I'd recon to replace with another box you'd have to cut the pipe off an inch before the collar - this would mean you need something approx 25"/64cm long and about 5"/13cm wide/tall. The lenght of 64cm with a rightangle bend on the end which is needed to curl around the recovery point, but can't be much longer as the pipe bends through 90 degrees 5 inch after the join back towards the engine. I have tried to do a picture below, hopefully enough information to help?

Attachment backbox.jpg not found

Attachments:

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2011 08:15 #25294 by doncarlyon
Replied by doncarlyon on topic Re: exhaust dimensions
Has anyone removed the middle silencer and replaced it with a straight through pipe?

• p1ngu32
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2011 11:42 #25300 by p1ngu32
Replied by p1ngu32 on topic Re: exhaust dimensions
When my cat removed its self i welded in a straight bit of pipe, its made the exhaust note very raspy on hard accelleration and decel. the centre silencer is just a small resonator box isn't it? Dont know if that would make much odds maybe more cabin noise?

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2011 11:50 #25301 by doncarlyon
Suppose we will find out then...

Is the exhaust bore 40mm ID ?

• Back in Black
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2011 13:00 #25306 by Back in Black
Hi,

I've been looking for pipe on line and can only 1 3/4" diameter as the smallest size so far. This leads me to think my measurements might be slightly off, or its not a common size (its only 4 mm difference between 40mm and 1 3/4").

I was toying with the idea of re-routing the exhaust with a "bullet" style (cheap) box near the exit, but I can't find a box in the right size yet. I need to remeasure a straight bit of the pipe again (or get a responsible person to do the measuring). Looking at the joins on previous posts it looks like there are reducers being used where the new pipe joins the original.

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2011 13:07 #25307 by doncarlyon
Smallest i have found is 45mm OD and thats with a 2mm wall thickness leaving 41mm ID.

As long as you can "sleeve" it then should be fine. I will have a walk under mine and measure it myself if its not raining tonight.

• myers647
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2011 18:16 #25318 by myers647
Replied by myers647 on topic Re: exhaust dimensions
Hi i no someone in the pas has used this front box:
DATSUN 280ZX HS 130 SERIES 2 SEATER MARCH 1979TO 1983 FRONT SILENCER
Item number: 360402193616 on EBAY. i have messaged the bloke and hes going to find me something like this just cheaper.

thanks

james

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds