× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

gearbox oil

• grumpy22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Feb 2010 07:09 #2282 by grumpy22
gearbox oil was created by grumpy22
now the jimny is ready to do what I bought it for I thought I'd pamper the little chap and change the oils in the diffs and gear box. can someone please tell me if normal EP90 is the right oil to use and how much of it? Also I've sometimes used an additive (STP/molyslip) in the boxes of my landies? Jim's box whilst not stiff or notchy isn't as smooth as I'd like. Could just be a characteristic

Thanks

G

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2010 07:05 #2294 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:gearbox oil
The gearbox and t-box should be GL4 - SAE 75-90
The diffs should be GL5 - SAE 80W-90 Hypoid gear oil

However, I just use the bargain job lot of "gear oil" at my local motor factors as mine doesn't seem to stay in the gearbox/t-box or diffs long enough!

My gearbox/t-box cannot be described as "smooth"

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds