BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

New springs?

More
22 Aug 2011 18:53 #20759 by JonathonMarshall
Hi all, its been a while since I've been online but I'm still running the Jimny. Showing its age a little now and I suspect that suspension is at fault. The Jimny has never been particularly comfortable but it is definately becoming unbearable. It seems to have no 'give' at all. I crawl over speed bumps and the whole car seems to crash over it and rattle around. A mechanic friend has suggested the springs may be at fault and seeing as they seem to be the cheapest to replace it seems a good start. Suggestions please? Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2011 19:20 #20764 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: New springs?
Are there any other symptoms though? Some of it is the character of the car - what mileage/age is it?

It could be knackered bushes.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• trextr7monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Aug 2011 08:16 #20777 by trextr7monkey
Replied by trextr7monkey on topic Re: New springs?
Drop tyre pressures a bit (minus 4 or 5 psi from existing or until sidewalls are bulging) for more "give" although being a short vehicle designed for some rough terrain it is always going to be a harsher ride than something a lot more sophisticated

good luck
Mike

More
23 Aug 2011 10:32 #20780 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: New springs?
Mine crashes over speed humps too, (I blow the tyres up hard to try to get 33mpg)
I find it best to run two wheels on the road, or along the gutter if it looks clean, and let the other two drive up the middle of the hump.
Trying to straddle the hump doesn't work.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
23 Aug 2011 14:04 - 23 Aug 2011 14:14 #20790 by JonathonMarshall
Replied by JonathonMarshall on topic Re: New springs?
I've had it about 18 months now but its just the last couple that its felt progressively worse. I started out with a 16 yr old defender so I know what a bumpy ride is - it just feels unduly so nowadays. It is a 1998 model with 102K on the clock. Bushes do look a little tired it has to be said - i've done a fair few miles myself and only had to do kingpins, wheel bearing and it failed the mot (which is due again in oct) on a rear shocker so it isnt doing too badly for its age!

EDIT
Having looked around at other threads - catching up from not having been on a lot and also the plan to buy AT2's in the next few months I think my tyre pressures are a bit high - i'll drop them and update later.

Thanks again all! J
Last edit: 23 Aug 2011 14:14 by JonathonMarshall.

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Aug 2011 16:12 #20798 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: New springs?
You can tell if your springs are at fault by cable-tying empty coke cans between the bump stops. Drive over some bumps and you will see how much the cans have crushed. If they are crushed flat - then the bump stops have touched.

Si

More
23 Aug 2011 20:30 #20817 by JonathonMarshall
Replied by JonathonMarshall on topic Re: New springs?
That sounds like a superb acid test Simon! Will try that, however having reduced tyre pressures in accordance with what has been suggested in other threads it now drives and handles much, much better! Well chuffed, now to see how it gets through its MOT in October! Thanks all and I will try that Simon just for a little peace of mind.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds