BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

bath time

• mikee
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jul 2011 20:11 #18712 by mikee
bath time was created by mikee
i just want to make sure i know what i have to do to get my jimny ready for a bit of wading?
any help would be apreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jul 2011 20:40 #18714 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Re: bath time
If you drive a vehicle into water, the diff will instantly cool off, shrinking and sucking in from the breather at top of diff so 1st thing is to fit tubing to diffs and bring to a point in engine bay that is higher than your air filter. I have mine connected to an aquarium filter up above the air cleaner. Snorkel has take-off point from low on the airfilter box so they don't really do anything for you... I only fitted mine for the looks :whistle: and cleaner air on dusty tracks.

I personally avoid water like the plague that it is. The axles can suck in water from points other than on top of the diff, like via bearings etc. Even the uni-joints can suck water in because of the sudden temp change. It's ok if you plan to use the Jimny off-road only but if you depend on the vehicle for daily use, give the water a miss. This is just my opinion though. :evil:

More
07 Jul 2011 21:30 #18717 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re: bath time
Ive been wading our jimny since we had it, and certainly long before I changed the oils and fitted wading breathers.
You can ... take a standard jimny though water as deep as the headlights without a snorkel, and I have been though water as deep as the wing mirrors before now.

These days, I have breathers fitted to both axels and the transfer box, and then run up inside the snorkel.

Search through the archive on here for reviews and infomation regatding the DIY options and the purchased kits from ebay.

the only downside when wading really deep water is the headlights fill up with water and its a bugger to clean for the MOT !!

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
08 Jul 2011 07:14 #18728 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: bath time
I avoid too much water as i use mine everyday and don't want to get stuck potentially and start taking on water, despite them being quite water tight unlike a lot of solihull products.

However....... its too much fun to avoid all the time! I've had mine in over the bonnet and the water parted around the windscreen - slight misjudgment! I've frequently had it up to the headlamps though.

Before i go off road for the day i spray everything i can in the engine bay with WD.40/gt.85 just to provided a little protection.

At the sites i use i've found that the deeper water is better than when the lakes are low as when its low it disturbs all the silt at the bottom and it gets in to everything.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds