BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Vacuum solenoids/valves

More
01 Jul 2011 03:53 #18430 by facade
The jimny has been on jacks for a fortnight now (the good news is they don't leak: it is still up ;) )

Trying to get the hubs working, one refuses to dis engage.

To cut a long story short:

I made a set of air pipes for the axle (all copper, took me a full day with making the tee pieces and silver soldering everything) and they still don't work.
I can get them working with a syringe at the hub, but there doesnt seem much sucking at the pipe :unsure:

Eventually, I took the two solenoid valves off.

There are 2 pipes, and a vent at the bottom.
I can suck through the centre pipe, which is supposed to go to the vacuum tank- that can't be right.
applying power they go clicky clicky alright and connect the outlet to the centre pipe.
They ( one or both) cant be sealing properly when switched off, so there is the vacuum leak that I made the new pipes to cure :angry:

Anyone got any ideas, or a set of solenoid valves they don't need any more cheap?

Looks like I will have to source some free wheel hubs :side:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2011 04:59 #18432 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: Vacuum solenoids/valves
As I have got manual hubs I have a pair of solenoids on my car doing nothing more than keeping the 4WD light happy if it helps?

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
02 Jul 2011 09:51 #18490 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: Vacuum solenoids/valves
Cheers Martin :)

but you would have to do some rewiring and tube capping to remove them and keep the light, I was hoping to find someone who had a set removed, I'll post a wanted ad.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
02 Jul 2011 15:56 #18499 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: Vacuum solenoids/valves
I've got them working for now....

After some thought, I decided it was the 4wd solenoid that was sticking, so I gave it a squirt of GT85 down the port and a few stabs with 12v and all is working properly again:

select 4wd clackclack

select 2wd click..click

I suppose it will stick again when the gt85 dries out, I still need a spare set of solenoid valves.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds