BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

i need help: what is this noise ( from a pulley )

• renard38
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jun 2011 17:36 #18290 by renard38
hi
i have changed the viscous coupling, but noise again :sick: Have you got ever the same?? Where it's comes from???

A+

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2011 19:53 #18300 by facade
Take off the belt for the power steering, by slackening the bolts through the adjuster and see if it is still noisy.

If it is, it may be the alternator bearings, water pump, or even just a worn out fanbelt, or one that needs retensioning.

If it isn't, it may be the tensioner pulley, steering pump or again a worn out drive belt.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• renard38
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jun 2011 09:21 #18311 by renard38
yes, i would do this yesterday in the woods, but i haven't enough tools with me :blush:

this afternoon i go at suzuki dealer in order to see if i can drive with this noise during my holliday ( 2 weeks ) and i'll repair after.

• panosd
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jun 2011 11:21 #18315 by panosd
It's not a big deal. Just go to a suzuki service and ask them to tight up your 2 belts between the fan and the

engine. It takes about 5 minutes to do both.

Its easy for them to do that because of a special tool that they have for this job.

• renard38
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jun 2011 16:07 #18322 by renard38
the belts don't slide on the pulley.

I have see suzuki dealer and they told me the only methode is to put a belt after another. That of the alternator and then the power steering .

• panosd
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jun 2011 16:48 #18323 by panosd
I had the same problem in the past and that was the solution. I ask me friend at local suzuki and he told me

the same for what i asked him and explained him.

Do you have install the proper belt? The width is ok?

If you have done this , then the only thing left is to make it tight.

• renard38
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jun 2011 16:57 #18325 by renard38
yes, i have installed the good proper belt; and The width is ok.

More
28 Jun 2011 08:04 #18351 by Obarno
It sounds like a belt - try putting a little chalk dust onto the belt and if it stops the squeaking you have found the problem.
To make sure its not the alternator, water pump, power steering pump, idler pulley etc take a long handled screwdriver and place it (carefully) on each item and listen to the noise - like a stethoscope. You will quickly hear if a bearing is going on something.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

• renard38
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jun 2011 18:36 #18369 by renard38
i have ever taked a long handled screwdriver and place it (carefully) on each item and listen to the noise: all is ok, no strange noise :unsure:

• panosd
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jun 2011 08:29 #18381 by panosd
Take off the 2 belts and apply on them a small amount of vaselini in order to make them soft.

The squising noise will stop.

More
29 Jun 2011 10:43 #18384 by Obarno
It definitely sounds like the belt then. An easy way is to spray a little WD40 onto the belt whilst the engine is running - one at a time if you can. The noise will disappear if its the belt.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

• renard38
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jun 2011 16:58 #18408 by renard38
no, no it's not the belts; There is a big difference when a belt slide.

on this vidéo, you can hear the belts (belt not slip but is too dry; changed now ):

This afternoon, i controlled the pulley dumper: OK

I then put a single belt (that of the alternator and water pump), there was a very slight noise which increased when I turn the headlights, so maybe the alternator ...

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds