BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

HEAD JOB!

• Mr Gringo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2011 11:34 - 17 Jun 2011 11:39 #17936 by Mr Gringo
HEAD JOB! was created by Mr Gringo
Howdy. First of all, I`m new to this forum but i`m hoping i can contribute to it and not just be some kind of information vampire and dissapear into the gloom after i`m sorted.

I`m shortly going to be replacing the head gasket on my 99 manual Jimny.
Ive read other posts and took info onboard and ive managed to get hold of the jimny service manual thats floating about so hoping this will help out a bit.

Ive not done a head gasket in about 12 years so i will be new to it again but my Jimny is a project and ive got time to spend on it (just not the money ...ha)

Just before i set to it and incase anyone is also looking for any info on possible head gasket symptoms, then mine are........(ps i bought it with suspect gasket failure)

Apparently it blew a radiator hose, so it was replaced and then i`m guessing here....that it started to boil over and blow off water.
Ive done a quick compression test on it (worth buying your own tester for about £18 off ebay) and nothing staggering in drop of pressure between cylinders but one was down slightly compared to the rest.
The pressure cap was slightly knackered (rubber gasket half gone) but all in all the jimny still runs sweet with plenty of power (or at least feels ok) and ticks over fine.
So far no water mixed in with oil....BUT there is alot of pressure in the water system and does try and blow out with the radiator cap off, even straight after starting and from cold.
I took the radiator cap off and filled the rad right up to spilling over and hey ho......bubbles are coming from within indicating that the cylinder is leaking and forcing gasses into the water system.

So as i cant seem to find any info on a head gasket replacement then i will do it as best as i can and keep you posted. Plus i`l take pics as i can and if possible i will post it form start to finish if anyone wants me to.

I`l keep in touch
Bye for now
Mr Gringo
Last edit: 17 Jun 2011 11:39 by Mr Gringo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2011 11:51 #17937 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: HEAD JOB!
Hi Mr Gringo ;)

Good luck with the head gasket and yes, do take all the pictures you can.

They'll help someone down the line.

Oh, Welcome to the Forum as well.

Keith :)

• Mr Gringo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jul 2011 11:45 #18651 by Mr Gringo
Replied by Mr Gringo on topic Re: HEAD JOB!
I`m still on with this by the way!!
Ive been sidetracked a bit with my bike, but cracked on last night after work and now the heads off.
I havent had chance to examine it, i will do this tonight and check to see if its warped (fingers crossed) as i was hoping not to get it skimmed.
Ive taken loads of pics and will hopefully get these on here soon, or if i`m not allowed to upload them then i will try get and make a link somewhere.
If anyones thinking of doing theres in the meantime before i get my info on here then by all means give me a shout if you have any questions as i could find very little info on the subject (but maybe i just didnt try hard enough)

Mr Gringo

More
06 Jul 2011 15:12 #18654 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: HEAD JOB!
My forum is a bit picky about the size of pictures so its not always easy to upload them.

If you have trouble then send them to me and I will upload them. If they are detailed enough we could put together a "How to" in your name if you wish.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds