BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Engine light on

• deerwarden
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2011 19:41 #17067 by deerwarden
Engine light on was created by deerwarden
Hi there, have had my 52 plate Jimny for 6 years, only has 45000 on clock, 17000 when I bought it for field sports, the engine warning light has come on when I restarted it Wednesday, still runs o.k. but tick over has gone up from 850 to 1100, seems more responsive as well, may be my imagination, any ideas, also Talk To My Car has some really cheap Autel Maxiscan OBD readers, for what I want to do some basic sensor replacement etc, are these O.K. An oxygen sensor in my Vitoria cost almost £230 to replace. All input appreciated. deerwarden:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jimnydave84
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2011 06:47 #17079 by Jimnydave84
Replied by Jimnydave84 on topic Re: Engine light on
Hi,

I had the same problem a while back the engine emission light came on and i followed all the tips of taking the oxygen sensors out and cleaning them. I have a SOHC engine so there was two sensors one in the engine bay and one after the cat underneath the car. Its worth a try it might be a cheap fix it didnt work for me so i got a local garage to plug into the car and tell me which sensor i needed to replace. I got mine from ebay but look around to try and get an OEM part and pay a little more because a cheap oxygen sensor is like a cheap bin bag false economy.

Hope this kinda helps.

More
30 May 2011 09:23 #17088 by Johnniehec
Replied by Johnniehec on topic Re: Engine light on
deerwarden, have a look here,
www.rhinopower.org/diag/diag_main.html
all you need to know, my light's been on for about 18 months now, no aparent side effects, so I haven't bothered investigating yet, even emissions were OK at the MOT.
John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deerwarden

• a18suf
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2011 11:36 #17094 by a18suf
Replied by a18suf on topic Re: Engine light on
my engine light has been coming on and going off for about 9 months. passed mot fine and does not alter the way it runs. maybe its a jimny thing :laugh:

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2011 12:43 #17096 by doncarlyon
Replied by doncarlyon on topic Re: Engine light on
Read the codes with a scangauge or similar... should give you an idea of whats causing it.

• expense
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2011 16:23 #17110 by expense
Replied by expense on topic Re: Engine light on
nothing worse than your engine light coming on! my car is a 52 as well, with only with only 25,000 on the clock, first rear sensor, then the second only 2 miles up the road! someone else on here said when one goes the other one is quick to follow !! one cost £93 and other was £132, with the test.

More
31 May 2011 15:33 #17147 by Johnniehec
Replied by Johnniehec on topic Re: Engine light on

expense wrote: nothing worse than your engine light coming on! my car is a 52 as well, with only with only 25,000 on the clock, first rear sensor, then the second only 2 miles up the road! someone else on here said when one goes the other one is quick to follow !! one cost £93 and other was £132, with the test.

OUCH!!:ohmy:

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

• deerwarden
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2011 20:54 #17207 by deerwarden
Replied by deerwarden on topic Re: Engine light on
Hi all, looks like the Front lambda has gone, Suzuki quoted me £134 pounds just for the sensor, do the direct replacement from Denso work O.K. if so whats the best one for my 51 plate Jimny, we had the local garage fit a universal into the Vitaro and had to replace it as it wasn't running right, all input appreciated. deerwarden:)

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jun 2011 06:54 #17219 by doncarlyon
give graham at car parts express a shout. Www.carpartsexpress.co.uk

he will get one sorted for you

• deerwarden
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jun 2011 17:06 #17234 by deerwarden
Replied by deerwarden on topic Re: Engine light on
Tried my new code reader and it found the following, PO135 02 sensor heater circuit bank 1 sensor 1, is this the front 02 sensor on the manifold, can't read codes till I go into work tomorrow as my computer doesn't have a mini disk reader. deerwarden B)

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jun 2011 17:26 #17238 by doncarlyon
Yes that will be the front sensor.

CarpartsExpress can get the Bosch sensors for around £80 i believe.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds