× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Steering damper bracket

• leswilluk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Dec 2009 16:12 #1697 by leswilluk
Steering damper bracket was created by leswilluk
Hi I have just had a go at fitting the steering damper brackets from the BigJimny shop but there is something I am not sure about my Jimny still has the anti roll bars fitted which means that the bracket attached to the cross member is very close to the bar about an inch away I am concerned that if the suspension is compressed that the bracket may hit the bar, to late to do any more today will have another look tomorrow but I will not drive it like that and will remove it until I am sure it will be OK thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2009 16:32 #1698 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Steering damper bracket
Hi

Thats not good news, sods law says that all the vehicles it has been fitted to so far have been off-road vehicles with the anti-roll bar removed so I did even consider the anti-roll bar when designing it.

There is an element of "rotation" available on the brackets at both end of the damper, by rotating it can you gain more room? Also the cross member bracket does have two holes in it so that the damper can be mounted higher up on vehicles without large suspension lifts, this would also allow the long end of the bracket to be cut short in these instances, would this help you?

I would appreciate some photos of the problem and if it cannot be overcome then I will arrange to take it back and give a full refund.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• leswilluk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Dec 2009 12:51 #1706 by leswilluk
Replied by leswilluk on topic Re:Steering damper bracket update
Hi I have tried moving the bracket into different positions on the cross member but still to close for comfort I think it will be OK if I used the top mounting hole and cut the bottom of the bracket off but the damper will not fit alongside the pipework which runs over the bracket as you may notice from the pictures my Jimny is a bit to new to modify to much.
Attachments:

• leswilluk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Dec 2009 12:54 #1707 by leswilluk
Replied by leswilluk on topic Re:Steering damper bracket update a another pic
One more picture only seem to be able to upload one at a time
Attachments:

More
27 Dec 2009 19:29 #1709 by mlines
Les,

I can see the issue, I think there are two ways forward on this:

1. I refund your money/postage etc and you pop the brackets back to me.

2. It looks as if I make a variant of the bracket which has a hole just below the current top hole and is then cut short below the new hole that this might work? Do you think so as you can see better the whole issue, yours is the first Jimny I have seen with the anti roll bar still fitted!. It would take about 3 weeks to get one done (the engineer is away snowboarding!). Would you be prepared to wait??, I need to sort out a solution for vehicles with Anti-roll bars still fitted.

Let me know either way,

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
27 Dec 2009 19:56 #1710 by Jamie
Get the ARB off if you are off roading it's just a hinderance!!!

• leswilluk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Dec 2009 20:19 #1711 by leswilluk
Replied by leswilluk on topic Re:Steering damper bracket decision
Hi I have made a search and found a damper bracket that will bolt on to the chassis rather than the cross member this makes it higher and further to the side, I have seen a picture of it fitted to a Jimny with the anti roll bar still in place and it looks OK so I think I will try that method and not use the bracket that bolts to the cross member so it would be better to send it back thanks
Les

• leswilluk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Dec 2009 20:33 #1712 by leswilluk
Replied by leswilluk on topic Get the ARB Off
Hi I thought someone was going to say that,I use my Jimny for several hobbies that often take me off road but I do not go off roading as such and find that having the ARB fitted and no lift kits etc fitted not a problem for my type of usage I do find the exploits of members of this forum very interesting though

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds