BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gear Change - notchy!

• teafortwo0789
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2011 15:27 #16958 by teafortwo0789
Gear Change - notchy! was created by teafortwo0789
Hi,
1. My gear change is a bit stiff / notchy or agricultural, not really smooth. Is this normal? I've removed the gear lever and cleaned out the old grease and re-greased.
2. Also when I engage 4WD it usually needs me to 'jiggle' the steering wheel slightly to get it back to 2WD. Is this normal?

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2011 17:06 #16961 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Gear Change - notchy!
check your transfer box brackets to see if they're tight, that was the problem on ours
:)

• teafortwo0789
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2011 18:42 #16966 by teafortwo0789
Replied by teafortwo0789 on topic Re: Gear Change - notchy!
Thanks for the advice,
1. Was your response related to the need to wiggle the steering to get out of 4WD, or the notchy gear change, or both?
2. Do you suspect the T - box could be loose?

Thank you again.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2011 20:38 #16972 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Gear Change - notchy!
the need to wiggle to get out of 4wd
ours wouldn't change between 2wd and 4wd with out problems - found the transfer box bolt was broken so the transfer box moved- once fixed it changed easlily

• Fingers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 May 2011 06:13 - 27 May 2011 06:14 #16984 by Fingers
Replied by Fingers on topic Re: Gear Change - notchy!
this might seem a simply one. but. I'll say it anyway. it might help :huh:

the jimny does'nt have a centre diff, so when in 4wd if you corner the drivetrain gets put under pressure. because the front and rear wheels want to turn at slightly different RPM's. some landy's owns call this
"winding up the transmission" this means it's hard to change back to 2wd because of the pressure on the gearing in the T box.

I understand the jimny is only meant to be used in 4wd in loose or muddy area's. so the wheels can slip and lose this different in rpm on the ground.

If you do find it hard to change and think you've "winding up the transmission" try driving back and forward in a straight line and try again :silly:
Last edit: 27 May 2011 06:14 by Fingers.

More
27 May 2011 10:57 - 27 May 2011 10:59 #16989 by Johnniehec
Fingers describes wind up really well and yes any dificulty de-selecting 4wd will probably be wind up. (Unless it's something physically restricting the lever like darthloachie says)
You don't have to drive far on a grippy surface with lock on to get wind up and the surface has to be really slippy for it not to be grippy. People say don't drive Jimny (or any other part time 4wd) in 4wd on dry tarmac but realistically you'll get wind up on wet tarmac, wet or dry hardcore and loads of other surfaces. To undo the windup reverse with lock on, you'll not need to go far.
The best way to see wind up is; in a grassy field, select 4wd high turn full lock and drive round in a circle on tickover. After a short distance one of the inner (usually) wheels will spin out as the back wheels are trying to cover a shorter distance than the front (look at the wheel tracks on the grass) but they can't cos they're locked together. If the grass is really dry the engine might stall because the wheels can't spin out.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.
Last edit: 27 May 2011 10:59 by Johnniehec.
The following user(s) said Thank You: teafortwo0789

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds