BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Help Jimny will not start

• Blakey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2011 10:11 #16649 by Blakey
Help Jimny will not start was created by Blakey
I have started stripping the Jimny ready for it to got off to ORA and have gone to start it but it will not start. When i try to start it i get a few clicks from the starter motor and i can also smell petrol and can hear the fuel pump going. I have disconected the battery to see if it was imobilizer but when i go to reconnect it i get a buzzing noise from under the drivers side of the dash. Its a S reg and completely standard. Any advice on what else i could try or what it could be?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Shagnasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2011 10:42 - 21 May 2011 10:44 #16651 by Shagnasty
Replied by Shagnasty on topic Re: Help Jimny will not start
When the starter motor clicks it's usually because it's getting volts but not the amps. Starters are very current-hungry because obviously they've got to turn the engine over.

Check;

Battery condition (and remember - a knackered battery can still give good volts at standstill ! The true test of a battery's state is if the volts stay reasonable whilst you crank the engine)

But the most likely cause is that a connector has come loose whilst you were working on the Jimny. Any loose connector will prevent a high current from flowing, but the most critical ones are from the battery to the starter......and the earth lead from it (as current has to run round the whole circuit back to the battery). Tighten the whole lot up.

If that doesn't sort it then you'll have to identify what's buzzing under the dash. Could just be a loose connector, or worse still something shorting to ground. Either way you'll have to fix it.

Good luck.
Last edit: 21 May 2011 10:44 by Shagnasty.

More
21 May 2011 14:42 #16656 by facade
The buzzing is usually a relay caused by a flat battery.

Have you tried a jump start?

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Blakey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2011 15:57 - 21 May 2011 15:58 #16659 by Blakey
Replied by Blakey on topic Re: Help Jimny will not start
Ye tried jumping it but it was off my works van and it has got those weird connections under the bonnet that are tiny and i struggled to get a good connection on with the jump leads. I took the relay out that was buzzing and it has made no difference i can still hear the fuel pump going and the starter motor still clicks a couple of times then stops. I have noticed that the check engine light is on but am not sure if goes out once the engine starts or not.
Last edit: 21 May 2011 15:58 by Blakey.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2011 19:01 #16673 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Help Jimny will not start
starter solenoid?

used to have a British Leyland car (yes I am that old) that I used to have to get a spanner on the end of the starter shaft and give it a quarter turn to unjam it and then it would start!

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2011 23:06 #16689 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: Help Jimny will not start
Or jab it with the handle of an hammer. :-)

• DVs-Jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2011 23:47 #16690 by DVs-Jimny
Replied by DVs-Jimny on topic Re: Help Jimny will not start
Stick it in 2nd gear and "rock" the Jimny, should unstick a sticky starter.

Good luck :)

More
22 May 2011 08:36 #16709 by facade
Bit late I'm afraid, but if your works van was one of these new fangled euro types, the live lead is BLACK :ohmy: and the earth lead is BROWN :silly:

Always best to join the engine blocks with the earth lead, then try and join just the two lives with the second jump lead, a big flash and pieces blown out of the jump lead jaws means you are trying to join a live to an earth, but it doesn't fry anything.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds