BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fitting single electrics to a towball.

• Municipal Waste
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2011 08:07 #16639 by Municipal Waste
Fitting single electrics to a towball. was created by Municipal Waste
So I've found somewhere that looks like they're making a half decent fixed tow ball for the Jimny that will be easy to install and can have the type of ball with a closed recovery point built in.

This is their wiring kit:
www.towbars-uk.co.uk/product/26/standard-single-electric-kit

Will this be an easy enough thing to fit and is there a better one I should consider?

While I'm at it this is the tow bar and ball, what do you think?
www.towbars-uk.co.uk/product/7055/suzuki-jimny-

www.towbars-uk.co.uk/product/46/3.5-tonne-ball-and-pin-
:ohmy:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2011 09:50 - 21 May 2011 09:51 #16647 by dirtydogz
The towbar and the wiring kit are ok but save your money and buy the 50mm tow ball for about £7.

Attachment DSCF1395_2011-05-21.JPG not found

www.bigjimny.com/images/documents/jimny_towbar_install.pdf
Hope this helps.
DIRTYDOGZ.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 May 2011 09:51 by dirtydogz.

• srcars
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2011 17:35 #16666 by srcars
Replied by srcars on topic Re: Fitting single electrics to a towball.
I havent fitted a tow bar but I fitted electrics for my bike rack. Fitted the socket right up out of the way to prevent damage offroad. Just an idea if you dont mind drilling into your bumper.

More
21 May 2011 18:09 #16669 by facade
I have a combi hitch type, it wasn't anywhere near £40 though.
I leave the ball&pin inside the car, with just the jaws on the towbar, and it saves obstructing the number plate.

I certainly wouldn't pay £40 for one.

The electric kit is a good buy, I paid more than that for the cable and a mounting plate for the spare socket I had in the garage.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• srcars
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2011 05:11 #16694 by srcars
If you have a 'The Range' store near you have a look in there for the electric kit. They dont list it on the website for some reason but they had them when I did mine and it was really cheap ;)

More
22 May 2011 11:07 #16720 by mcjimny
That socket in the bumper is a very tidy job, thats on my list to do to mine. I nailed the bracket on mine on its first outing after fitting, id just have to extend the trailer plug but it will make for a tidier and more reliable install as it is quite vulnerable in its current position.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• Municipal Waste
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2011 12:07 #16722 by Municipal Waste
Replied by Municipal Waste on topic Re: Fitting single electrics to a towball.
Hmm, I quite like the location you put yours in SRCARS, I think it might be a good idea especially if I've got to have the bumper off to do the job anyway!

I think next time I've got a chance I'll pop into The Range and see what theirs is like and then try fitting that first before I even get the towbar TBH.

Just going to have a go at changing my bulbs for some brighter ones. I'm quite the novice at working on cars... Show me a push bike and I can fix anything but this is scarey and new :O

• Municipal Waste
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2011 18:17 #17114 by Municipal Waste
Replied by Municipal Waste on topic Re: Fitting single electrics to a towball.
Joints like this yes?

• srcars
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2011 18:48 #17117 by srcars
Although I have and still do like to use solder and heatshrink on some joints as they are much neater especially when tapping into a wire I have read somewhere it is not ideal. Automotive wire is nearly always multistrand wire as it is very flexible, when you solder it you create a rigid point in the wire which with the constant vibration of a car can over a period of time become brittle and snap.

I have only ever seen this in classic cars I have messed with in the past so your talking about 20 odd years down the line and I doubt my Jimny will still be about then ;)

More
31 May 2011 08:46 #17134 by ooky_123
I mounted my Tow Electrius to the rear door near the hinges.

The wiring goed though the rubber duct into the body and then is routed out of sight.
I use a 1 Meter coiled extension to attatch to a trailer.

This keeps the electrics clear of 90% of the water we go wading though

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
31 May 2011 15:30 #17146 by Johnniehec
I fitted mine same as srcars but at the other side. It's a pig of a job, instructions/guide and wiring diagram here,
Scratched knuckles,rusty bolts, broken trim clips are inevitable, wonder why no one has invented a wireless version??
John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

• srcars
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2011 04:28 #17160 by srcars

Johnniehec wrote: I fitted mine same as srcars but at the other side. It's a pig of a job, instructions/guide and wiring diagram here,
Scratched knuckles,rusty bolts, broken trim clips are inevitable, wonder why no one has invented a wireless version??
John.

:whistle: Yes I fitted mine on the wrong side really, I read the article on fitting a towbar months before I fitted the socket and for some reason thought the electrics were on the offside. I ended up removing the whole of the rear interior instead of half of it :angry:
Fitting socket 10-15 mins, removing and reinstalling interior seemed like an hour :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds