BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Cam angle sensor issue?

• Sandez
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 May 2011 15:06 - 19 May 2011 15:06 #16562 by Sandez
Cam angle sensor issue? was created by Sandez
I am currently having an issue with my M13A Jimny. While the vehicle is at idle around 750rpm or less the vehicle feels like it has a miss and you can feel a very minor vibration throughout the car. The problem used to be alot worse where it violently shook at idle speeds and almost felt like stalling, but after following another thread I replaced the ignition coils and this significantly improved the issue with now only the minor miss feeling occuring.

I have done a service on the vehicle, replacing oil and filter, air filter, spark plugs and ignition coils (2nd hand). Apart from the ignition coils, the others didnt have any affect on it.

I have pulled the cam angle sensor out and have noticed a light coating of oil around it. I dont know much about cam angle sensors but is this how its meant to be? When I played around with the cam sensor (as well as starting it without the sensor plugged in), the vehicle improved very slightly. Could this indicate that the cam sensor is on its way out? or does this problem point towards the crank angle sensor?

The vehicle is also quite rough when it starts (sometimes taking a few seconds to crank over) which I believe relates to the crank sensor. Given both the rough start and miss feeling, should I look at replacing both sensors, one of the sensors (which?), or none (neither are related)?

Regards,

David
Last edit: 19 May 2011 15:06 by Sandez.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2011 07:37 #16702 by kirkynut
If you can get a diagnostic reading on it you may learn where to start. I can never remember which engine code is which but if you've got the non vvc twin cam engine, purchasing the scan gauge Martin and I have means you can do it yourself.

Then if there is a code, you'll know what's wrong to save buying unnecessary parts. You'll have to lay out £100 for the scan gauge but will have it for the future. I've used mine twice as a code scanner and the gauge part is used all the time left connected.

I suspect the problem might not be bad enough to throw up a code yet mind. Where are you and is it the engine I mentioned?

Just wondered if your near me (Southend) or Martin (Reading).

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
22 May 2011 07:39 #16703 by kirkynut
Just looked, you couldn't get much further from us if you tried. Fancy a round the world trip for a spot of diagnostics?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Sandez
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2011 08:34 #16708 by Sandez
Replied by Sandez on topic Re: Cam angle sensor issue?
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

kirkynut wrote: Fancy a round the world trip for a spot of diagnostics?

Maybe if I do a few minor mods like this I'd just drive over...

Attachment s_desi_ec_08080_16x9.jpg not found

I guess I could buy a cheap code reader off ebay for $20AUD

I've ordered both the Cam and Crank angle sensors regardless, as the vehicle has been pretty neglected before being purchased, then this way I'll know how long each part has been in the vehicle and keep which ever part wasnt broken as a spare. Both sensors cost ~£165. If I still have problems I might buy the above reader and go from there
Attachments:

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2011 08:37 #16710 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: Cam angle sensor issue?
Remembering that these readers don't work on some Jims like mine, Eds and a few others. Mine's a 2001 with tha M13 motor.

• Sandez
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2011 09:13 #16713 by Sandez
Replied by Sandez on topic Re: Cam angle sensor issue?
Mine is an 01 with the M13A as well. I remember vaguely seeing a plug very similar to the one above but I'll be sure to double check and do my research before purchasing

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2011 09:46 #16715 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: Cam angle sensor issue?
I have the OBDII socket as have the others but when I plug my reader in, it just says trying to connect, forever! LoL!

If I plug the reader into my Merc, the reader works absolutely fine.

I would borrow one to plug in first to see if it works or not before buying a reader. Mine was appprox GB£40.

I also have a crank sensor spare you could try but you are a million miles away.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds