BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Electrical issue

• russellgoodman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2011 10:09 #16303 by russellgoodman
Electrical issue was created by russellgoodman
I bought a Jimny a few months ago, an 2002 soft top (spanish built) The interior light does not come on when opening the doors nor does the fuel light work.
The other week I was fiddling about under the dash seeing what wires when where. The the headlamp leveler started adjusting its self, and the interior light started working with the door switches and the key in the ignition alarm started to bleep.
In short all of the electrical warning things seemed to work as they should including the headlight on alarm. But while these worked the headlamps contiued to go up and down!
This stopped working after a short while, (when the ignition was turned of and back on) and the headlamps stayed still. Without fiddling under the dash again it won't do it.
I am guessing there is a short somewhere but don't really know where to start.
Has anyone got any ideas??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Shagnasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 May 2011 15:25 #16352 by Shagnasty
Replied by Shagnasty on topic Re: Electrical issue
Rather than a short circuit, it sounds to me like something is going open circuit (ie, not connecting when it should)

When lots of things go lairy at the same time it's quite often an earthing point. I've had a little look through the wiring diagrams today and both the buzzer and headlamp leveller are commoned to Grounding Point 6. So I'd suggest that is the first place to look. The pages I'm looking at in the handbook are 8A-7-47 for the leveller and 8A-7-48 for the buzzer.

Ground point 6 is under the driver's side dashboard, at about the 7 o'clock position from the steering wheel. From the picture it looks like a bolt attached to the bulkhead.

There's no easy fix though. Get a torch, lie on your back in the footwell, and find the ground point. Then you just have to work through wires, wiggling connections and seeing if anything comes to life.

In my diagram, both the buzzer and headlight leveller attach to point 6 via a black wire, so that's the chief suspect to start with.

Let us know how you get on,

Shagnasty.

• russellgoodman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2011 18:07 #16417 by russellgoodman
Replied by russellgoodman on topic Re: Electrical issue
Thank you for looking at that. I will get under there later this week if I get out of work at a sensible time. I am away the weekend so it may have to wait for a few days or so. It will be good to get it all working. I have unplugged the headlamp leveller for now. I will let you know how I do. Looking forward to lying upside down in the footwell!

• russellgoodman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2011 15:30 #17103 by russellgoodman
Replied by russellgoodman on topic Re: Electrical issue
Had a root around under the dash today. There are a number of wires under the dash that have been joined together and taped, I found a cobra alarm also (no remotes for it).
I think I need to tidy up the joints under the dash and then see what happens from there. The light and buzzer started to work at one point but I can't pin point what triggered it. I will pick up some connectors and have another go next weekend.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds