× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Over Heating ...

More
17 Dec 2009 17:06 #1614 by ooky_123
Over Heating ... was created by ooky_123
Strange thing the other week whilst laning and goign through some reasonably deep water ... Temp started to rise dispite having heaters on full.
Found out that pouring water over the heater worked ... May need to get a new radiator as this one has lots of damaged fins ...

Checked cooling system for leaks... nothing ... Will start by the radiator

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2009 20:45 #1642 by s2quattroturbo
Replied by s2quattroturbo on topic Re:Over Heating ...
could be worth checking how much mud there is stuck in the rad too, bent fins and mud are never a good mix.
Taking it out, good soak to loosen the mud or running a hose thro it to get out the worst of it a good start.

More
18 Dec 2009 04:23 #1646 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Over Heating ...
Yes, take it out and lay it in a tray of warm water (aka: the bath!)overnight, you will be shocked at the amount of mud that will come out of a "clean" radiator.

I would also guess that the viscous mechanism on the fan has given up. Get the engine really hot to the point of overheating, stop the engine and try to turn the fan by hand. If it turns its no good. I dismantled mine, put a piece of cardbord inide the mechanism to jam it on and then re-assembled. Now the fan is on full at all times but any sign over overheating has gone. Note that once you decide to open the viscous mechanism then there is no going back, its now bust even if it wasn't before you started as the oil escapes!

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
18 Dec 2009 09:01 #1647 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:Over Heating ...
Im actually thinging to removign the fan all together next year and fitting an electric one. Also going to change the radiator and maybe fabricate a deflector to stop water directly flowing though it

More
19 Dec 2009 02:37 #1648 by ooky_123
update ... issue identified and resolved .... checked the fluid level ad it appeared to be fine. closer inspection revieled water pump is the offending item.

seems easy enough to change ..... well will start there !

More
22 Dec 2009 08:47 #1664 by ooky_123
Ok, this is starting to be a little wierd ... minus 5 degrees outside, good airflow though the radiator and temp pointing to the roof !!!...

I have usually experienced car heaters that will not heat the car due to sticking thermostats, and in cold weather even the bottom hose freezing resulting in lo heating inside, but yesterday, whilst out the jimny started to overheat again.
Heaters were blowing really hot to clear the condensation off the windows, the car was driving a mixture of cruising and having to use the power (in 4wd)

Im wondering if it even may be the heater matrix as I cannot see any lost water underneath the jeep when it is parked up ( and it was previously needing a coolant top-up.

Any ideas >

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
22 Dec 2009 12:22 #1672 by funkyjimny
Replied by funkyjimny on topic Re:Over Heating ...
I'd be tempted to say head gasket.

Gary

More
22 Dec 2009 19:35 #1676 by ooky_123
Thought about that, but no water in the oil... even the cold weather and letting it come up to temp, and cooling again has not given any visable signs of water contamination.

Just pordered a new Thermostat from Suzuki ... Will change that and if start there. Failing that, will get a new radiator

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
22 Dec 2009 19:38 - 22 Dec 2009 19:39 #1677 by funkyjimny
Replied by funkyjimny on topic Re:Over Heating ...
Failed head gasket doesnt always mean water in oil, head gasket can go between water jacket and cylinder which pressurises system.
Hope it is something simple like a thermostat though, check yours by removing and placing in a cup of boiling water and see if it opens etc

Gary
Last edit: 22 Dec 2009 19:39 by funkyjimny.

More
06 Feb 2010 18:24 #2208 by ooky_123
Well, finally managed to put some miles on the Jimny.. after a failed attempt to remove the tow bar ( gonna have to get the angle grinder out ).. I decided to take a wander across the Plain ( Big Military exercise (pre Deployment) in progress). There is Lots of Mud and slurry due to lots of heavy armour movements, so the mud is thick and the slopes slippery.

After about 300 meters of hard climbing, I noticed the temp was right on the Upper limit again.
Now having washed quite a lot of silt out of the radiator, and replaced the thermostat, I figured this problem was resolved, but I fear not. (right, down with the windows, and heating on full !! ).
I thought it mabe be because I have relocated the front number plate across the bonnet vents using cable ties, but there is ample air flow though the bumper appeture.

Washing down the Jimny outside, I managed to get another load of silt from the Radiator, and when the vehicle had cooled down, The water level in the Radiator had not changed.

I think The answer is a new radiator. The existing one has loads of damaged fins, and as im still getting loads of silt from it, I think a new Rad is the better option.

Is anyone able to recommend a suitable upgrade for the standard Radiator .. or is it a case of picking up a replacment ?#

Also Thinking of putting an electric fan on instead of the viscous coupling standard one. (again, any recommendations ?)

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds