BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gearbox problem

• nirikina
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2011 13:19 #16129 by nirikina
Gearbox problem was created by nirikina
Hi, I'm a new member. I found this site while trying to research what could be wrong with my Jimny.

I've got a 2005 VVTS, I've had it a year and it's my 2nd Jimny.

Last week it suddenly started rattling, louder on acceleration, quiet when clutch depressed, loud in 1st 2nd 3rd 4th gear but silent in 5th gear. Same rattle in 2wd and in 4wd. Presumably a gear box problem. But changing gear fine, clutch fine, no grinding or smells etc.

Since then I've had to drive it perhaps 50 miles total and it's been okay... until... Today there was a loud clunk when changing gear, which I felt through the pedals and gearstick, and it was clunking and reluctant to engage each gear during the 2 miles to get me home again.

I've had a mechanic look at it and test drive it, and had quotes around the £1,000 mark for stripping and rebuilding the gearbox, or a lot more than that for a new gearbox new transfer box and new clutch. Someone suggested buying 2nd hand parts off eBay. But at the moment I'm not sure what it needs, and I'm not even sure if it will make it to the garage.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2011 14:38 #16132 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: Gearbox problem
sounds like you need a second hand gearbox from a breaker or eBay.

You sure it is quiet in 5th?
I would expect quiet in 4th, as this just locks the input and output shafts together, all the other gears are indirect.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds