BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Transmission bush issues

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2011 15:35 #16092 by Bigchridy
Transmission bush issues was created by Bigchridy
Hi all.

I've been struggling to cure some rattles under acceleration and have recently fitted some HD transfer box mounts which cured most of the noise. But there is still a rattle under acceleration. :(

I decided to get the Jimny on a ramp today and found that I could grab hold of the gearbox and push it up out of its mount! The bush is badly perished so it will need replacing but where is the best place to get a new one from? I'm guessing that it will be a genuine only part but I'm going to try ringing Andrew Pages etc tomorrow to find out if you can get them non-genuine.

Has anyone come accross this issue before? If so how did you over come the problem?

I'm also considering making one like the HD transfer box mounts but need to figure out what material to use!

Cheers

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2011 18:39 #16104 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: Transmission bush issues
was the same on mine & my bro's jimny & ive heard a few more that had the same

it was just the top steel part of the mount that had come away from the rubber on ours so i fixed them by taking the little bolt out thats in the middle holding that top steel bit to the gearbox & then cut & bent a little bit of 3mm steel to fit in the underside of the rubber part drilled a 8mm hole in center of the plate i made & put a slightly longer bolt through & into where the little bolt came out

hope that make sense as im useless at trying to explain things :lol:

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2011 15:14 #16138 by Bigchridy
Replied by Bigchridy on topic Re: Transmission bush issues

vitara_mad wrote: was the same on mine & my bro's jimny & ive heard a few more that had the same

it was just the top steel part of the mount that had come away from the rubber on ours so i fixed them by taking the little bolt out thats in the middle holding that top steel bit to the gearbox & then cut & bent a little bit of 3mm steel to fit in the underside of the rubber part drilled a 8mm hole in center of the plate i made & put a slightly longer bolt through & into where the little bolt came out

hope that make sense as im useless at trying to explain things :lol:

Yeah I think I understand what you mean. :)

I havent had chance to ring round for any prices yet as we have been really busy today. I think I might have ago at carrying out a similar repair to what you describe and if I balls it up I'll just buy a new one!!!:laugh:

Cheers

Chris

• v8dougie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2011 17:15 - 11 May 2011 17:15 #16204 by v8dougie
Replied by v8dougie on topic Re: Transmission bush issues
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI think I have the same vibrating noise, really bad in 2nd gear mainly when under 2000revs. I went underneath and tried moving the transfer box and it moved a good inch in all directions.

Have been thinking about changing the mounts, but would HD ones affect anything else? i.e. transmit more noise through to the cabin?

Which HD ones did you get? I have found these:

Any help gratefully received!

Cheers

Phil
Last edit: 11 May 2011 17:15 by v8dougie.

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2011 18:59 #16209 by Bigchridy
I've fitted the above HD transfer box mounts and most of the noise has been cured. It used to vibrate and rattly under any acceleration now it only does it under hard acceleration. :cheer:

I would say they are the way to go especially if you are going to be taking your Jimny off road. I would say that you get a bit more cabin noise as there is not really any movement in the HD bushes compared to the standard rubber ones. As my Jimny is mainly a toy and I only use it to go to work or off road, this doesnt really bother me.

Hope this helps

Chris

• v8dougie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2011 12:59 - 12 May 2011 13:02 #16224 by v8dougie
Replied by v8dougie on topic Re: Transmission bush issues
Does help, thanks.

I have just found the K.A.P. Prospec H/Duty Steel Transfer Box Mounts on their website www.kapsuzuki4x4.co.uk/suzuki/jimny.php and had a chat with the very helpful guy there, who said that the alloy cast standard mounts have a tendency to corrode away, where the steel from the bush meets it, and this can cause a similar issue. Sounds logical, but has anyone else heard of this?

Would like to get it all sorted in one go if possible, but the price of the steel HD mounts are a bit steep!

Cheers

Phil
Last edit: 12 May 2011 13:02 by v8dougie. Reason: website link

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2011 15:42 #16235 by Bigchridy
I've heard of similar problems with the transfer box mounts. Mine had corroded quite a bit but the HD bushes fitted fine and have cured the issue of movement in the transfer box.

I've just fitted a new rear gearbox bush to the jimny and have cured the vibrations completely and had a lovely drive home from work today!

So in my opinion its down to what you can budget for. If you can afford the new mounts then go for it. If not then I'd just fit the HD bushes.

Its not a major job to fit them anyway. It took me about 20mins and I did it at home instead of on a ramp at work.

Chris

More
12 May 2011 18:42 #16254 by mcjimny
Just as a word of warning, i've read of people smashing the transfer box casing when fitting h/d mounts. When the normal ones are on theres some give if you hit the box off road, where theres little movement the box wont move but can smash as a result. The recommendation is to fit the h/d mounts accompanied by some sort of protection.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2011 19:03 #16259 by Bigchridy

mcjimny wrote: Just as a word of warning, i've read of people smashing the transfer box casing when fitting h/d mounts. When the normal ones are on theres some give if you hit the box off road, where theres little movement the box wont move but can smash as a result. The recommendation is to fit the h/d mounts accompanied by some sort of protection.

Thats a very good point. Didnt really think about it like that. Luckily I fitted a guard to my transfer box at the same time I fitted the bushes!:) Didnt fancy smashing the T case!:unsure:

Chris

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 May 2011 09:11 #16272 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: Transmission bush issues
just out of interest & it may be helpfull to others where did you get the new gearbox mount from & what do they cost ???

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 May 2011 15:12 #16281 by Bigchridy

vitara_mad wrote: just out of interest & it may be helpfull to others where did you get the new gearbox mount from & what do they cost ???

Ahh that is a good question! They seem to be a dealer only part.:(

I paid £24 for mine.:sick: But I got it at trade price as the dealer I work for use my local Suzuki dealer from time to time.

So i'm guessing it would be a bit more for a normal customer. Also they had to order it over night as they didnt keep it in stock! Even tho they said it was a common issue!!

Hope this helps

Chris

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds