BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

hand brake light coming on when driving ?

More
15 Dec 2009 19:06 #1608 by jonplace
done a bit off roading today, nothing too heavy but did have to cross a river that came over the tyres. I noticed later in the day on my way home that when i applied the foot brake 'firmly' the red handbrake light comes on (without touching the hamdbrake) - then goes off as soon as i take my foot off the brake. it doesnt do this under soft braking.
to be honest the brakes felt alright, done about 30 mile on way back. any ideas ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
16 Dec 2009 06:05 #1609 by funkyjimny
Check your brake fluid level, same warning light.

Gary

More
17 Dec 2009 16:57 #1613 by kirkynut
Ditto, probably warn your pads/ shoes down so the fluid level has got low.

Check front pads and rear shoes, replace where necessary and you might not need to top up the brake fluid as the callipers/cylinder pistons will go back in somewhat.

Be aware that off roading can make the brakes eat pads and shoes as mud gets in them and acts like a grinding paste.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
20 Dec 2009 19:35 #1660 by jonplace
cheers gary - topped the brake fluid up and all is well again. front pads are fine, i suspect the rears may be down. going to clean them out while i've got some time off and probs replace.
cheer gary and kirky. wish all problems were this simple :)

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds