BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Buying my 1st Jimny. Need Guidance.

• xenogears100
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2011 13:28 - 07 May 2011 13:30 #16007 by xenogears100
Buying my 1st Jimny. Need Guidance. was created by xenogears100
Hi, Im planning to purchase my 1st 4x4 and am interested in the Jimny. I've seen one for sale in my country(one of the few on sale) and really like the outside/interior condition of the vehicle. I'm new to 4x4's so I don't really know what to look out for when buying them. I'm used to regular cars but not 4x4's.

I test drove the Jimny and everything seems okay while on 2WD. But when shifting to 4WD High, I didn't see any 4WD light come on on the dash. When shifting to 4WD low, the 4WD light came on but it was flashing. Should the light be on constantly when 4WD is engaged on a Jimny? I didn't really feel anything different while driving the jimny from 2WD to 4WD so I suspect that 4WD didn't engage during my test hence why the light didn't come on on the dash. Am I correct?

I really like the car and am hoping its a cheap fix to sort out the issue with the 4WD not engaging if that indeed is what it happening. I've done some research and have noted others saying its a vacuum pipe issue that keeps the 4WD from engaging. Should I still buy the car and just have the 4WD checked and repaired by a mechanic? How much am I looking to spend for such a repair? I'm not a DIY type of guy...

BTW, its a 2003 model JLX MT.

Please if anyone can help me out with these questions. Thanks.
Last edit: 07 May 2011 13:30 by xenogears100.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2011 15:14 #16011 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: Buying my 1st Jimny. Need Guidance.
sounds like the vacume fwh's are not engaging thats why the light was flashing as it should stay on when in 4wd

More
07 May 2011 16:35 #16014 by mlines
Where abouts are you?

If you had been into a bit of DIY you could have knocked a lot off the price and then fixed it yourself. Its usually a straight forward task to work around the bits of the vacuum system, I would guess its probably never been used in anger which is half the problem.

The problem with some mechanics is that they will have never seen the system before and therefore will mess around with it burning your money and then tell you it needs a complete new front axle (this is an amazingly common "solution" offered by mechanics, the number of people who have phoned me after their mechanic says it needs a new axle when its just the bearings/kingpins/vacuum that need some small attention )

If you tell us where you are then the power of the forum may point you at someone who can fix it.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• xenogears100
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2011 23:14 #16026 by xenogears100
Replied by xenogears100 on topic Re: Buying my 1st Jimny. Need Guidance.
Thanks for the info guys.

I'm hoping its just a vacuum problem and i can tell my mechanic what to fix since I have a jimny service manual I can print out to guide him if he isn't familiar.

I'm located in Metro Manila Philippines where everyday roads are terribly bumpy and filled with pot holes, hence why I think a tough 4x4 suspension will be able to cope better with the rough roads. I'll be using 2WD most of the time and just want to have a working 4WD option available in case I plan to go to the countryside where there are dirt/gravel roads.

Another thing I'm worried about is the "death wobble" I keep hearing about online. On my test drive I managed to get the jimny up to 70kph and didn't feel any death wobble so I am hoping the unit I'm purchasing still has a pretty good suspension that needs little work. It's just the 4WD that is the problem during my test. I'm planning to go back to see the unit again soon before I buy the thing to check the axles for leaks or cracks, something I didn't know to check since I'm new to the 4x4 market.

I'm learning a lot from the info posted on this forum.

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2011 08:13 - 08 May 2011 08:14 #16028 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: Buying my 1st Jimny. Need Guidance.
Hey up,

Just in case, you do know that you can only use the 4wd on loose or slippy surfaces?
On tarmac you can only use 2wd anyway.
Due to the Jimny not having a centre diff.

At least, that's the way I understand it.

Keith :)

By the way, Welcome to the Forum. :cheer:
Last edit: 08 May 2011 08:14 by Keefe. Reason: Added a bit

• xenogears100
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2011 11:31 #16032 by xenogears100
Replied by xenogears100 on topic Re: Buying my 1st Jimny. Need Guidance.
Yup, I know that the jimny 4wd can only be used on low traction conditions.

Another thing I want to know is what breaks on a Jimny if its used on tarmac with 4WD engaged. I'm wondering if the jimny I'm about to purchase has something more serious wrong with it such as damage due to the 4WD being used by the previous owner while on tarmac. If the 4WD is damaged due to this type of use, will you know about it right away on a test drive? Do the gears make a grinding sound or something that can help me tell if its not just something simple like a vaccum problem that is causing the 4WD not to engage on the jimny? On my test drive in 2WD, everything seemed normal. No noises or grinding sounds can be heard. Only the 4WD light blinking on 4WD low and not coming on at all when on 4WD high. I'd hate to buy a lemon from a dodgy dealer.

• expense
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2011 11:58 #16033 by expense
Replied by expense on topic Re: Buying my 1st Jimny. Need Guidance.
Hi there, Ive got a red Jimny 2002, only done 20,000 miles. Havent really used it!!! (dont do off roading)
how much does the person want for the 2003? (when you change to 4wheel on mine it registers on dashboard. Thinking about selling mine. (I cycle most of the time!)

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds