BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Replacing Jimny Kingpin Bearings

More
13 May 2011 14:23 #16279 by facade
Preload shims go on the outside of the bearing between the inner race and the shoulder on the swivel pin.
I suspect the water gets into the bearing from the inside.

I would look more at getting the water out, with a crafty drainhole somewhere.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• overthetop
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 May 2011 16:03 #16283 by overthetop
Replied by overthetop on topic Re: Replacing Jimny Kingpin Bearings
Preload shims go where they are intended to go (or not go, in the case of the SJ series).

As pointed out, the current available preload shims for the Jimny are intended to go between the inner race and the kingpin shoulder.
My proposed top-hat shim(s) would go between the bearing's outer race and the shoulder of its location in the axle.
The end result would be the same, size for size.
It was just an idea of trying to combine a means of preloading the bearings whilst, at the same time, preventing water access to the kingpin bearings.

Just a thought.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds