BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Is The Front Brake ABS Rotor In The Way?

• overthetop
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Apr 2011 09:23 #15461 by overthetop
Is The Front Brake ABS Rotor In The Way? was created by overthetop
I am planning to replace my front axle kingpin bearings.
A couple of HOW TO DO ITs gives very good descriptions.

The procedures given of replacing the kingpins do not require the dismantling the wheel hub assembly. That means the Suzuki approved wheel bearing tool isn't required to release the bearings.

By removing the 4 bolts holding the wheel hub assembly to the swivel housing allows the hub to be released all together.

However, some Jimnys have ABS braking and sensor rotors fitted to the back of the wheel hubs.
My question is, is the ABS rotor interfering with access to the 4 bolts and therefore will I have to dismantle the bearing hub assembly first before I can get to these 4 bolts?

thanks in advance for any help given on this issue

overthetop

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• overthetop
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2011 13:30 #16313 by overthetop
Replied by overthetop on topic Re: Is The Front Brake ABS Rotor In The Way?
2 weeks later and now having done the job.

In reply to my own question: NO. It is not in the way if you are only changing the kingpin bearings.

You don't need to undo the bolts holding the bearing shaft to the swivel hub. Take that assembly off in one piece. As confirmed elsewhere in this forum.
Also you don't need to remove that M6 fixing or the ABS sensor. 9 times out of 10 the little
screw will break only then to find that the ABS sensor itself will refuse to come out of its location!

If you release a couple of ABS sensor wiring clips you can then gain enough slack to take away
the swivel hub assembly just enough to access the kingpin bearings. Also confirmed elsewhere
in this forum.
Be sure to make secure the swivel hub assembly to one side without any strain on the sensor
wiring until you are ready to put it back. ABS sensors are not cheap!

More
14 May 2011 15:04 #16317 by Cash
Would it be possible to cut the wires and crimp on an electrical twin connector? then next time just unplug the little bugger.

Cash

• overthetop
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2011 16:18 #16318 by overthetop
Replied by overthetop on topic Re: Is The Front Brake ABS Rotor In The Way?
I don't know for a fact but as I undertand it alot of the sensors used on cars have very narrow tolerances of their electrical properties.
That would imply the need for each wire cut to be soldered on reconnection and then properly insulated.
Many sensors have 4 wires so whilst cutting the wires and then rejoining them later is an option but it would be better if didn't have cut them in the first place.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds