BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

CLUNK?

• HairyBean
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2011 10:38 #15272 by HairyBean
CLUNK? was created by HairyBean
Hello.

Took my Jimny off road the other day for the first time since i have done my lift, and noticed that there was a bit of a clunking noise coming from the front when i go into a pot hole or dip. Nothing has broken so no worries there fortunatly. I was wondering if it could be sumthing to do with the front springs being bowed? As the lift is just some Bits4Vits spring and shock spacers at the moment, i will get somne castor correction bushes when money situations allow it :unsure: (also need to do the wheel and kingpin bearings :()

So to summerise :whistle: what is causing this clunk?

Many thanks, Rick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• viciouspenguin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2011 12:57 #15275 by viciouspenguin
Replied by viciouspenguin on topic Re: CLUNK?
wasn't money falling out of your wallet into the jimny was it?

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2011 13:21 #15276 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: CLUNK?
possably spring hitting chassis if you have lifted it & not extended the panhard rod thats what mine was doing but once i fitted adjustable rods it was fine

• HairyBean
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2011 17:37 #15284 by HairyBean
Replied by HairyBean on topic Re: CLUNK?
You know i found a quid in there today! :lol: Going to need alot more than that for some panhard rods though :(

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2011 18:10 #15286 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: CLUNK?

HairyBean wrote: You know i found a quid in there today! :lol: Going to need alot more than that for some panhard rods though :(

not much more if you make your own though;)

More
21 Apr 2011 06:01 #15292 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: CLUNK?

HairyBean wrote: (also need to do the wheel and kingpin bearings :()

So to summerise :whistle: what is causing this clunk?

Haven't you answered your own question? :laugh:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Andy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Apr 2011 06:12 #15294 by Andy
Replied by Andy on topic Re: CLUNK?
If you have fitted the front shock extenders as well as the spring spacers then the clunk is the shock piston bottoming out inside shock.(or topping out depending how you look at it :lol: ) The reason for this is the spring spacers provide a 1.5" lift and the front shock extenders are providing a 2" extension, perhaps even more if not fully wound on. So this means you've already at least 0.5" over compression of the front shocks before you hit the holes.

Solution- take the shock extenders off. The spring spacers on the front without the shock extenders work absolutely fine, and the anti roll bars don't allow enough articulation for the shocks to 'top out'. I tinkered with shortening the shock extenders, re threading the inside of them etc so that they were 1.5" too, however because your still using soft and spongey factory sitted springs, they will still compress more than usual because of the spring spacers - thus shocks STILL bump and clunk. Just whip the shock extenders off and get back to the holes and bumps :silly:

• HairyBean
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2011 09:41 #16220 by HairyBean
Replied by HairyBean on topic Re: CLUNK?
Thanks everyone for the info.

Done the kingpin and wheel bearings this week, but looking underneath i could'nt see any marks where anything would be hitting so i think Andy is right thinking its the shocks. I made the front shock spacers myself so i can just stick them back in the lathe and shorten them a bit, i'll have to shorten the stubs on the shock too i'm guessing.

More
12 May 2011 11:31 #16222 by andyw
Replied by andyw on topic Re: CLUNK?
If you look at your chassis rail and the spring, you might find chipped paint on your springs or on the bottom corner edge of the chassis rail where it rubs as it's passing over it while flexing. might be on two coils of the spring

:blush: , mines done it for ages, must sort that to :ohmy:

Andy

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds