BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Noise when idling, not when clutch depressed!

• june
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2011 07:04 #15002 by june
Hi all,

Hope you can help me with this one as not very technically minded!

Just got my first jimny a few weeks ago and have noticed, in the last week, a fast rhythmical high pitched squeaking/squealing sound coming from the engine area when idling. It goes away completely when the clutch is depressed, i think i can still hear it while driving. It's a 2002 with 48k on the clock and i don't think the timing belt has been done yet (not a chain one:( ). Hoping it's the belt but reading a few things on here it could be clutch. I'm covered by a three month warranty - two months left so hope to pinpoint it before it expires!!

Any info would be a great help,

Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2011 07:24 - 14 Apr 2011 07:27 #15004 by goatboy
Hello!

It could be alot of things unfortunately, that fact the clutch is depressed may not be linked as putting the clutch in does change stresses and loads in the engine...(although it could be too)
I would doubt greatly its the timing belt, if it was squeeking it would be slipping and if it had slipped the jimny would not run well at all! having said that if the belts not been changed get it done ASAP (I guess it could be a dodgy tensioner or water pump though).

Could be alternator/fan belt (normal culprit for high pitched squeals), could be the clutch release bearing.
Does it always do it?
If you lift the bonnet when its doing it can you tell which area of the eninge its coming from?
Does it go away if you rev the engine? If it doesn't does the pitch/speed change when you do rev it?

Sorry thats not much help :unsure:
Last edit: 14 Apr 2011 07:27 by goatboy.

More
14 Apr 2011 08:05 #15007 by dirtydogz
If your jimny has warranty go back to the dealer and let him fix it.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
The following user(s) said Thank You: june

More
14 Apr 2011 10:52 #15011 by facade
Mine makes a great deal of rattly whirring at idle, that goes away when the clutch is pressed, it is the gearbox, I don't worry about it. :whistle:

It also squeals and whirs from the power steering idler pulley, but a new one is £1,000,000 from Suzuki, so I do worry about it ;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
14 Apr 2011 16:31 #15025 by supergaz
Sounds like clutch release bearings.

• scrappybill
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Apr 2011 05:00 #15107 by scrappybill
Replied by scrappybill on topic Re: Noise when idling, not when clutch depressed!
Also known as the thrust Bearing.
Quite Easy to change- but might be worth doing/changing the clutch the same time as you have to split the gearbox from engine !. (2 birds 1 stone and all that !)
It depends on the age or milage the clutch has done, or the condition its in.
There is a post on here about probs with the clutch bearing- do a search for it.
Its the bearing that sits after the coverplate or on the gearbox side. it allows the clutch plate to spin as the clutch re-engages to the flywheel. They can get full of mud or debris and get damage themselves, My just need a good clean- but it does sound that its knackered !!

Garages are likely to charge a a good few £'s for labour- But you dont need any special tools as such do do your self- just general Spanners, sockets etc . if you want to have a go yourself.
Im sure there is a load of guides avail on net for it? and on here.

Thrust bearings are not that expensive but normally come as part of a clutch kit- Plate Cover and Bearing !!
Attachments:

• Nelson83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Apr 2011 08:43 #15117 by Nelson83
Mate of mine had the thurst bearing go on his corsa in our final year at uni. The local student friendly garage charged him just over £150 to replace that and the clutch, as they said whilst it was apart it, it might as well be done. I remember following him to the garage to pick him up and not hearing the squeeling. The chap in the garage was also surprised when he pulled in cause he couldnt hear the squeeling either.

It was only when my mate opened the door that we discovered he'd put a bungee strap from the pedal to the air vent and this lifted the clutch enough to stop the squeeling. My mate then told the bloke in the garage it squeeled when he set off the night before - in cheddar and he'd drove back to mid shropshire like that :-) we picked it up in the afternoon - good as new with no squeeling

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Apr 2011 09:24 #15119 by goatboy
please try and eliminate all the other possibilities if you can before you go changing the thrust bearing though. Its alot of work to do if you just have a slipping fan belt...
(admittedly thrust bearing was my first thought too...)

More
18 Apr 2011 13:54 #15207 by Johnniehec
June,
Don't stress about it! As dirtydogz says take it straight back to the dealer and take avantage of your warranty, let them stress about it! Leave it with them till it's fixed.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

More
18 Apr 2011 17:26 #15213 by ooky_123
Dad's Jimny makes a noise when the vehicle is idleing inneutral and the clutch is not depressed. seem to be either gearbox of thrust bearing. unless his gets worse, were just going to live with it, its a second vehicle anyway, so were not that worried. When I had my clutch changed by Newbury 4x4 2 years ago, they charged me £170 for the labour.. and it cost me another £170 for a paddle clutch from KAP

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• june
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Apr 2011 07:35 #15226 by june
Thanks so much for all the advice and info, sorry havent had a chance to get on here in a few days!!
Me thinks its the release bearing - a mechanic friend had a listen and said it straight away!
Back to the dealer-hope they dont try the old 'wear and tear' mumbo jumbo :)

Thanks again everyone !!

• Fingers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2011 15:30 #16039 by Fingers
mine's making the same noise. and i've had a fair amount of car mechinical expearance. with a range of different cars. and I do as much work on them myself as i can.

I HATE not having a Haynes manual for jimny's tho.

but the release bearing was my first gutt feeling. it mite be dry.

I'm going to get it ramped up. open the plastic cover on the bell housing , have a good look around with a light. check the clutch cable adjustment and try to lubricate the release bearing.

It might stop it for a few months :P

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds