BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

sj free wheeling hubs onto a jimny

More
18 Nov 2009 20:07 #1479 by Garry
as title, ive got a pair i want to fit to my jimny to get rid of the dodgy vacume hubs.

what size spacers do i need to fit them, ive been told 5mm by someone and 7mm by someone else

im confused now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2009 20:28 #1480 by mlines
Watch this space - tomorrow (Thursday)!!!

Martin ;)

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
18 Nov 2009 20:31 #1481 by Garry
thanks Martin, will be checking back tomorrow, just browsing through your site, been a few new topics since my last visit

More
18 Nov 2009 20:35 #1482 by Garry
ohh and i forgot, do i need longer hub bolts, and ifso where do i get them?

thanks for taking the time to help Martin

More
19 Nov 2009 14:10 #1486 by kirkynut
No spacers necessary, just take off your wheel bearing nut using the correct tool, sold by Martin and Bits4Vits, stick the nut in a vice and cut it down by the required 5-7mm or further, it matters not, then do it back up to the required torque and fit a manual freewheeling hub off an SJ or Vitara.

No new parts needed, no cost.

I was given cut down nuts with some fixed hubs I bought when I bought my Jimny direct from KAP as I knew the problems with the vacuum operated ones. I have a set of freewheelers to take off our SJ410 before it gets sold and will put them on the Jimny.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
19 Nov 2009 14:25 #1487 by mlines
Alternatively to cutting it up you could fit a set of these!!

Bigjimny SJ hub adaptors!!

New today, these are the protoypes hence they are blue and not plated, the real ones will be plated.

I will post "fitted" pictures later, this will also let me sort out the bolts required.

And while you are looking for Christmas gifts how about, bolt on steering damper brackets....

Or a bolt on rear recovery point.....

As you can see by the fact that it is plated, this one has emerged from prototyping. All soon to be in a shop near you!

More details later on once I have done a bit of spannering.

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
19 Nov 2009 15:57 #1488 by Garry
dam martin! you the man!!!!!

ill be ordering all 3 when my pay is in the bank,

can you pm me prices please, id like the hub adaptors, bolts, steering damper brackets and 2 possibly 3 bolt on recovery points

More
19 Nov 2009 19:22 #1489 by mlines
Ok so I have been out spannering the prototpyes!

The SJ hubs fit fine, I just need to source 30mm bolts to put into the kit. I didn't have enough bolts to fit the hubs properly to my car so it was only a trial fit.

You will need

You MUST get the cone collars with the hubs, these come on the old bolts and can be prised off by opeing the slot with a screwdriver and then winding them off the thread.

Typically the SJ bolts are too short and the Jimny bolts are too long.

The steering damper kit test assembled on the bench

The damper attaches to the steering arm using U-bolts and bracket 1. I think we need to review the U-bolts as whilst those my engineer sent are probably up to the job they certainly do not look the part.

Bracket 2 bolts to the cross member.

And here it is fitted!

Now clearly you are interested in the prices. I have to source the bolts for the hubs, but the target price for the kit of rings and bolts is £25 plus p+p (it may be less if the bolts are dirt cheap)

The steering kit DOES NOT INCLUDE THE DAMPER. This is because you can get them really cheap on EBAY, just search for LANDROVE DISCOVERY SERIES 1 STEERING DAMPER. If you pay more than £20 for the damper then you have paid too much.

The target price for the damper brackets is (subject to finding a better U-bolt at the same price) £38 plus p+p

The rear recovery point is designed to fit the REAR only (a front one is in production) and is designed for STANDARD cars, hence the length in the arm to bring it below the plastic bumper. The price for this is set at £42 plus p+p, there is a lot of metal in these - its 10mm thick plate.

I will be verifying the bolts and U-bolts tomorrow and then they will be in the shop

Martin

More
19 Nov 2009 20:28 #1490 by s2quattroturbo
excellent looking kit, if you have trouble getting the bolts let me know, i have a good place for getting them cheap.

More
20 Nov 2009 11:55 #1491 by mlines
The adaptors and brackets are now in the store to pre-order.

The recovery bracket will follow soon

Martin

More
21 Nov 2009 13:50 #1494 by Garry
i tried to pre order the hub adaptors and steering damper, the order button didnt do anything, ill try again in a few days

More
21 Nov 2009 14:17 #1495 by mlines
Fixed! - bit of finger trouble on my behalf. Estimate delivery is currently end of 1st week in December

Martin

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds