BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

CV Joints

More
05 Apr 2011 12:34 #14513 by Obarno
CV Joints was created by Obarno
I seem to remember reading that early and late cv joints are not interchangeable as they have different spline numbers. Is this correct? Would early front shafts and cv joints as an assembly - 2000 - fit a late -2007 - car? I know the diff end is the same number of splines - 22 - and I presume the outer flange end is the same as there appear to be only one type of freewheeling hub offered across the range.
The reason I want to know is that I have a pair of shafts and cv joints from an early car which I would like to use as spares on a late car if/when I brake a cv joint.
As an aside has any one used D&Gs Birfield rings on their cvs and do they really make a big difference?

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2011 16:53 - 05 Apr 2011 16:59 #14529 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: CV Joints
I have a set of late shafts and CV's and a set of early shafts and CV's and both have the same number of splines and as a unit they are interchangable.

What you can't do I think is change the CV's onto their opposite shaft.

I know some diff ratios changed but I don't think the shafts did, not at the front anyway. This is why all freewheeling hubs fit.

In respect of the Birfield Rings, I believe they will help trememdously but have not tried them. The CV's go by way of the outer casing being pushed out and cracking by the pressure of the balls. If the casing is held together by the Birfield Ring also, it has been strengthened somewhat.

They are not cheap though! I can see from your signiture that you have front and rear ARB's - have you considered contacting KAM Diffs as they were bringing out hardened front shafts and CV's and already sell hardened rear shafts cheaper than D+G.

You have an auto though, so in theory you can feed the power in a little more gently and not break things, but that depends on your right foot and how heavy it is. Have you broken CV's / shafts already?

You don't have the most aggressive tyres with KL71's to go snapping things with alot of grip.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 05 Apr 2011 16:59 by kirkynut.

• bluejimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Apr 2011 17:11 #14531 by bluejimny
Replied by bluejimny on topic Re: CV Joints
ive had 3 CV's go on mine, but have all failed differently, one the outer gave up, so like you say the rings would help to beef up the CV, but then something else would be more likely to fail, when at the big jimny event it seems the inner part with the splines gave up on me

ive been speaking to a transmission manufacturer today as he makes uprated CV's halfshfts etc, and from his experience its the cage that hold the balls fails quite often and then causes the CV to go

he was quite surprised to see how thin the cage was on jimny CV's but he's comparing them to Subaru CV's :P

we looked at the possibility of using a larger CV's and making custom halfshafts to suit but there just isnt the room in the jimny axle to do this

the only other method is making the CV's out of a stronger material but thats when the cost goes up!! :S

More
05 Apr 2011 17:26 #14534 by kirkynut
This is it, the cost of uprated shafts and CV's. I'll not get a locker I don't think.

Have you had lockers in when you broke your CV's???

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• bluejimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Apr 2011 17:50 #14541 by bluejimny
Replied by bluejimny on topic Re: CV Joints
no thats the thing just an open diff, its probally when the spining wheel does get that bit of grip :angry:

at big events now i might just take a set of front halfshfts with me as i can change them now within the hour

More
05 Apr 2011 18:08 #14546 by kirkynut
Oh dear, that was my fear about getting aggressive tyres as I now have with my Malatesta Kaimans as I have a Rocklobster and effectively will not be much, if any different to you now!

My Mrs has a heavy right foot sometimes and has learnt how to drive offroad in an SJ410 with hard springs and then the Jimny with the old transfer box, neither with particularly aggressive tyres!

Now we have grip and low gearing it's all a bit different to what she's used to and mechanical sympathy she aint got!

I have a set of spare front shafts with good CV's on so I will carry them with me if we go far from home. I'm lucky in that our club site is only a few minutes from home, so we could free up the front huns and limp it home, but further afield could be different.

Like you, now I've changed front wheel bearings and Kingpin bearings, axle seals etc, I can change a front shaft in less than an hour, but I don't want to have to!

Kirkynut

More
06 Apr 2011 07:51 #14586 by Obarno
Replied by Obarno on topic Re: CV Joints
Thanks guys for all your info - there's nothing like experience to give a good response! My auto Jimny is not actually the car I am thinking of as I have bought another one to replace my French Sammi. Its the one that Jamie on this forum had, and I'm taking it to France and will register it there. Its a manual so perhaps a bit harder on the transmission. The events that we do in France involve a lot of rocky tracks and rocky steps etc. so quite a strain on the transmission. I have now taken the lockers out of the auto and put them in this one.
I'll have a look at Kam - hadn't thought about them but a good idea. Do you know if their shafts are the same dimensions as standard? D& G are certainly expensive but I guess good quality - the other possibility too is ERM in France who sell uprated shafts and cv joints although with the joints they are exchange which makes me think they put something like a Birfield ring on them, but the shafts are cheaper than D&G!
The other quandry I have is the tyres - I have a set of 30.950.15 Kumhos or a set of 235.75.15 Insa Turbo Special Tracks. The Special Tracks are more grippy but also put a lot more strain on the transmission! As it has lockers maybe the Kumhos will be better in terms of breakages as less grip but with the lockers unlikely to spin/grip/spin as much. Decisions!!

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds