× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

New steering wheel on old Jimny?

• distantcamera
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2011 00:12 #13219 by distantcamera
New steering wheel on old Jimny? was created by distantcamera
Is it possible to fit the new steering wheel from a facelift Jimny onto an old 1999 without major headaches?

Suzuki seems to have made my steering wheel out of an old sponge :( I presume that I'd need it complete with airbag, but would that (and the horn switch) plug straight into my wiring?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2011 07:58 #13223 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: New steering wheel on old Jimny?
My old steering wheel fell apart too! Got a replacement from a scrapyard for 30 quid. Not sure if it is from a later model but it is a slighty darker grey. I reused the existing air bag no problem. Just means I have a 2 tone wheel. It's kinda cool. B)

• distantcamera
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2011 18:11 #13262 by distantcamera
Replied by distantcamera on topic Re: New steering wheel on old Jimny?
Yes, I had thought of sourcing another pre-facelift one, but I quite fancy one of the nice leather jobbies fitted to the newer ones :)

Nobody else has though of trying this? How much of a pain is it to get the steering wheel off? Maybe I'll be the first to try. How would I tell if the airbag was going to work ok?

More
13 Mar 2011 18:58 #13266 by facade
You need to make a puller to remove the wheel, there should be 2 threaded holes in the wheel when you remove the airbag gubbins.

Don't use the old trick of slackening the nut, and banging both hands hard on the wheel rim to get it off, the steering column has plastic shear pins inside so it can collapse in an accident.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• distantcamera
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2011 19:12 - 13 Mar 2011 19:12 #13270 by distantcamera
Aha! Thanks for the warning; I'd have probably tried to bash it off :blink:
Last edit: 13 Mar 2011 19:12 by distantcamera.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2011 19:50 #13288 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: New steering wheel on old Jimny?

distantcamera wrote: Aha! Thanks for the warning; I'd have probably tried to bash it off :blink:

that brings back memories
I was helping my mate get the steering wheel off his MGB (yes I am that old) and he said you pull while I hit it with a hammer
his famous last words were .............

don't worry I won't hit your hands!

• distantcamera
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2011 19:54 #13290 by distantcamera
I have a deep-seated bitter loathing of the MBG. If I ever won the lottery (a few times) I'd buy them all, line them up and then burn them one by one. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

More
15 Mar 2011 21:39 #13449 by kirkynut
Did you remember to leave the nut on a few turns to stop the wheel flying off and hitting you on the nose?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
15 Mar 2011 21:42 #13450 by kirkynut

distantcamera wrote: I have a deep-seated bitter loathing of the MBG. If I ever won the lottery (a few times) I'd buy them all, line them up and then burn them one by one. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

It sounds like you need a Bigjimny counselling session to help you get over your MG ordeal!

Let's start with you telling us what has made you feel this way...

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2011 12:27 #13471 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: New steering wheel on old Jimny?

kirkynut wrote: Did you remember to leave the nut on a few turns to stop the wheel flying off and hitting you on the nose?

Kirkynut

didn't get that far! - I was leaping round swearing, nursing my fingers, and he was rolled up in a ball in stitches

• distantcamera
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2011 20:10 #13481 by distantcamera
[quote="kirkynut" post=13450

It sounds like you need a Bigjimny counselling session to help you get over your MG ordeal!

Let's start with you telling us what has made you feel this way...

Kirkynut[/quote]

Paying £76.60 monthly for five years for one that I didn't own, didn't drive (not even a car license back then), didn't particularly like and more importantly didn't get to sell. The same one that got me banned from the AA and accused in court of allowing someone to drive without insurance (even though it was never mine!) Grrrrr... Lesson learned: never let a future ex girlfriend have a loan in your name...

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds