BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

CV replaced but still clicking.

More
20 Jul 2009 19:24 #1042 by mcjimny
As title really, i've changed one and the other was fine anyway. When in 4wd i've got drive but when i'm full lock to the right i've still got a clicking. It used to do it in 2wd but thats cured.
Anything i've missed? Its only on absolute full lock right against the stops. All the splines are fine and there's no signs of wear or inside the fwh.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2009 10:50 #1049 by kirkynut
Did you really fill it with the right CV grease and wiggle it about off the car to get it all inside the joint before re-fitting it?

Also, did you give it a good wash out to get any little bits of metal filing out of it before re-greasing it.

I have found on SJ and Jimny CV's that if you wash them out with proper de-greasing agent, like Jizer or similar - take it to your local garage and ask them to put it in their parts washer if you can't do it - then have a gander at the dry joint, you'll see little flakes of metal knocking about.

When in this dry state it will lock up in your hand too. Get all these little bits out of it and grease it up well and wiggle the shaft around in it for a while, making sure the grease is in everywhere and it works freely in every direction at full lock.

Then stick it back in and it should be fine, as long as it didn't seem worn when inspected, as you say yours was.

Also, make sure your axle tube seal is not leaking diff oil which will thin your grease down and stop it working.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
21 Jul 2009 21:42 #1056 by mcjimny
I pulled both sides out again, i cleaned out the n/s joint and repacked it with grease, i worked it around in my hands before replacing in the axle repeated with the o/s (which is a new joint). I replaced the axle seal as part of the kingpins job.

Touch wood i've cracked it this time, i need to get it on loose ground to test it under load in 4wd.

Thanks for the help.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
22 Jul 2009 11:55 #1059 by kirkynut
Cool, hope it's OK now then.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds