× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Overhearing issues

More
24 Aug 2024 19:31 #257329 by Conev
Overhearing issues was created by Conev
So its been a long time back and forth trying to fix my overheating issues with the jimny (M13A non vvt) 2002 manual. Had a lot of problems and mechanic fixed 2 freeze plugs that was leaking on the right side of the engine block and the coolant loss stoped. I also changed the radiator cap but the overheat was staying . So i thought that the problem was the stress of the engine cause i had steelies 8" and At tyres 215/75/15 . Finally changed them and got back to oem aloys 5.5j and the car is running smoother. Then i checked the viscous fan and was working properly . Lastly i start a whole coolant flush to use better coolant and clean the system cause the heat core didnt have much heat . The flush helped a lot and it took me 6x4liters of distilled water to clean fully the old coolant and the trash that was in the system. Now the car is a lot better. In the city the car is not overheating the temp gauge is in the middle all good . Yesterday when i started to go to the village the car on the hill started increasing temp . On 4gear the temp was going up but in 3rd gear the temp was going down . I was also checking the temp with an ecu reader. When the car was in 104 celcious the temp gauge was in the middle  but when the max temp got 105 degrees the temp gauge was going above middle . Anyway on 3gear it dropped to 98 degrees. 
I also live in cyprus were is pretty hot 37-40 degrees iin august. So my last thoughts are to change the termostat( i dont think is the problem cause it only overheats on hills and and on 3rd year the temp drops ) . Also i don't think is a head gasket cause no oil mix with coolant also no coolant loss and no fumes from exhaust all work fine . 
Is there a possibility of a bad temp sensor ? ( should the gauge get  a lot above middle if temp was 105 degrees?) 
and lastly are there any other plugs on the left side of the engine block to change for possible minor coolant losses ?
What should my next step be ?

(Sorry for the long paragraph is just the frustration coming out)

2002 Manual M13A jimny RHD
2" Black Raptor Lift kit
Ironman 4x4 steering Damper
8" steel wheels 215/75/15 AT100
Tema 4x4 Snorkel
Wing
Window deflectors
Rear seats removed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2024 19:41 #257330 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Overhearing issues
My first question, and yes, I did read your post, is what makes you think it is overheating?

It's no longer loosing coolant, in the city it is not overheating, 104~105*c is not an overheat condition.

What is the symptom that makes you say it's overheating.

More
24 Aug 2024 19:44 #257331 by Conev
Replied by Conev on topic Overhearing issues
Hey fordem
That is what i have trouble understanding
Cause the ecu reader that i connect to my phone on hills and 4 gear showed a max temp of 105 degrees but on the car dash the temp gauge got well above middle . I all my other car the temp gauge is staying on the middle but on jimny until 104 degrees (that the ecu reads on my phone ) the sign on the dash is in the middle but when it hit 105 it get above the sign in the middle

2" Black Raptor Lift kit
Tema 4x4 Snorkel
Wing
Window deflectors
Rear seats removed

More
24 Aug 2024 20:51 #257332 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Overhearing issues
The dash gauge is not a precision instrument - have you ever noticed it has no numbers?

Get an IR temperature gun and measure the actual temperature on the radiator top hose.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Aug 2024 04:57 #257336 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Overhearing issues
Has the temperature gauge ever actually been in the red section or does it just climb up a bit and drop back? The thing is the m series is usually very stable in real terms with its heat management right up until it's not. Once it's been into the red then it will 9 times out of 10 need a head gasket. You will be told that it's fine and to change the thermostat and the heater core and the coolant and the radiator cap and the radiator and everything else but it will only delay the inevitable. I nursed my last jimny for 3 years changing the above one by one but eventually I had to get it done. The actual defect was apparently very minor compared to most the machine shop usually saw but it was enough to be putting combustion gasses into the water jacket.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
25 Aug 2024 06:29 #257337 by Motacilla
Replied by Motacilla on topic Overhearing issues
Hello Conev,

Your Jimny isn't overheating. 105degC on going uphill on a Mediterranean summer day is not a problem.

The main reason it gets cooler when you downshift is that the water pump is turning faster.

You should be downshifting when you go up hills as a rule, for lots of reasons. The peak of the power curve is around 4000rpm, so that is where the engine wants to be when you are making it work hard. Don't be afraid to rev your Jimny's engine.

More
25 Aug 2024 11:24 #257340 by Conev
The highest temp i got before the whole system coolant flash was 109 degreesC. Now the max is at 105-106 on hill climb on a hot day . My only question is the temp gauge on the dashboard failing then because when is at 106 degreC its well above middle but when the car is at 104 is steady a bit below middle .

2" Black Raptor Lift kit
Tema 4x4 Snorkel
Wing
Window deflectors
Rear seats removed

More
25 Aug 2024 15:04 #257344 by Motacilla
Replied by Motacilla on topic Overhearing issues
"Is there a possibility of a bad temp sensor ? [...]  What should my next step be ?"

On your Jimny, the temp gauge is connected to the computer, not the temp sensor.  That is, the computer is monitoring all of the engine conditions, and sending out signals to the gauge in the dashboard. 

The signals to the dashboard gauge are not really intended to be one-to-one needle increments to get an exact temperature reading.  As fordem said, the gauge is not a precision instrument.  It is just there to look cool -- newer Jimnys don't even have one -- and if you did ever have a real overheating issue the car would let you know.

Put another way, the OBD temperature reading and the dashboard temp gauge reading are coming from the same place, the computer.  They are not disagreeing... because they can't.  And replacing the gauge will not get you any greater precision, because that's not really what the gauge is for.

There's not really anything wrong with your Jimny.     But you can confirm the actual coolant temp as fordem describes, if you are concerned.  And of course you can replace the gauge if that gives you peace of mind!

Side note, most modern cars have no temp gauge at all (like the new Jimny) or have one that doesn't move even when the temp changes.  This is because it is not necessary for a driver of a modern car to monitor coolant temp, and the manufacturers found that a moving needle just caused unnecessary stress...

More
25 Aug 2024 16:38 #257347 by Conev
I hope that is the case , partly i agree with you . But how would the car let me know that is overheating without giving attention to the needle going above middle ?

2" Black Raptor Lift kit
Tema 4x4 Snorkel
Wing
Window deflectors
Rear seats removed

More
27 Aug 2024 07:47 #257362 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Overhearing issues
If the needle is in the red it is overheating. Anywhere outside of the red is fine. That's about all anyone ever needs to know about modern temperature gauges, hence them being replaced by a light.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motacilla

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds