× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Repeat question about roof studs?

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Aug 2024 05:46 #257069 by Lambert
Whatcha.

I think this was asked a long time ago but I can't find it. 

I have roof bars mounted to the existing rail studs they are fine if a little ugly. I seem to remember that some people just dispensed with the rails and then shaved the studs to give a clean roof which is an appealing idea for show days.  However shaved studs is a decidedly permanent solution that prevents refitting bars or rails. To my mind the obvious solution would be to replace the studs with rivnuts then it's both clean without the bars but still practical with them. 

So the actual question.  Before I take my head lining out,  how are the roof studs fixed?  Are they like a wheel stud and splined to locate them in a thicker section of roof seam such that they could be driven out or are they somehow welded or sandwiched between the roof skins or something else that makes cutting and drilling the only option?  Oh and you are right a rivnut will need sealing properly. 

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2024 17:11 #257114 by Busta
I've got a scrap Jimny here, I'll peel back the headlining and report back...

More
06 Aug 2024 19:16 - 06 Aug 2024 19:19 #257117 by Busta
They appear to be studs welded into the roof structure.

Tests confirm they don't come out when you bash them with a hammer, the inner roof skin just deforms.

Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Aug 2024 19:19 by Busta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Darthblaker7474

• Lambert
    Registered
More
07 Aug 2024 03:23 #257119 by Lambert
Cheers for that. Hmmm so looking at that picture I would be needing to remove the heads too to retain the spreader plate whilst minimising the section depth to allow the rivnuts to work. OK that's doable. More thinking time required.

More
07 Aug 2024 08:09 #257120 by DrRobin
What a great site this is. I can’t think of anywhere else someone would go out, rip the headlining from their car and hit the roof with a large hammer, to help another member.

OK the car in question was a scrapper, but even so outstanding assistance.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

More
07 Aug 2024 13:38 #257126 by Busta
  Lambert's question peaked my own interest as one of my Jimnys has nothing on the roof, just the studs sticking up with some plastic dome covers on them. I have the benefit of access to end-of-life Jimnys so why not do a bit of investigation!
Another forum member recently collected some rare air conditioning parts off the same car. He's taking them on a flight to Perth, Western Australia to fix a Jimny there!
I've received a lot of help and knowledge from this forum and I'm always happy to give back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, yakuza, Soeley

More
22 Aug 2024 20:04 #257287 by Darthblaker7474
Is there any particular reason Suzuki did this, is it the strongest part of the roof?

I much prefer the look of lower spec Jimnys without the roof bars.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
23 Aug 2024 03:23 #257298 by Lambert
I think that it's the usual reason suzuki do anything odd, because they can.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds