× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

re-paint or wrap

More
29 Jul 2024 19:34 #257001 by HappilyNorth
Had my Jimny 4 months now and love it. Thirsty, but love it.

The old boy I bought it from did old boy things and had a go at spraying (chips/scratches I guess) parts himself. I only noticed how much he's bodged much of the paint work with his handiwork when I cleaned it in the sun for the first time today.

Before I even bother taking it to a shop, how much do you think a complete re-spray would cost? I'm guessing a wrap would be a lot cheaper.

I'm also guessing "arm and a leg" will be in the replies.

Also, what do you guys suggest I use to bring back a faded front plastic bumper (section below the number plate)? Just normal stuff from halfords or is there something better?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2024 21:49 - 29 Jul 2024 21:55 #257005 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic re-paint or wrap
How long is a piece of string….

Paintwork can vary by a huge amount. Also depends what sort of level you want it painted too (door shuts, engine bay etc or change of colour). Also who is doing the prep work or remove things like bumpers and headlights?

As for wraps. Well I’ve never had a vehicle wrapped. But when I’ve looked at prices they tend to cost similar or sometimes more than getting something painted. There are also some dreadful wraps out there with peeling or flapping. Is the vehicle to live outside or in a garage? I suspect this could make a difference on how well a wrap will last too.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2024 21:55 by 300bhpton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HappilyNorth

• DrRobin
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
29 Jul 2024 22:14 #257006 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic re-paint or wrap
Like 300bhp I have never had a car wrapped, so googled prices and it is similar to getting a re spray. The two downsides I can see of a wrap are durability, it might only last 5 years and if you are unlucky to get a scrape or stone chip, you could touch up paint, but I doubt you could touch up or repair a wrap.

If you didn’t want a solid colour, but graduated or even several colours, that would be very expensive in paint and a wrap might be cheaper..

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
30 Jul 2024 09:41 #257009 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic re-paint or wrap
I've had a roof wrapped on a car and seen various others. They don't last long maybe 2- 4years max. If the paintwork isn't good underneath then that can also affect the wrap. Paint all the way.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds