× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Workshop manuals JA11C

More
20 Jul 2024 04:42 #256859 by Martin
Hi there, I've just joined Big Jimny.  I have a 1992 JA11C manual transmission.  I like to tinker with my car but so far can only do simple things.  Recently I have developed a problem with the prop shaft from the gear box to the transfer case.  It's impossible to find a new one and my Suzuki garage here will only fit new Suzuki parts!!!  I'm temped to get it out and replace the universal joints myself but am not sure the steps to take!!??  I wonder if anyone knows where I can find a workshop manual in English???  Thanks for your time!  Martin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Jul 2024 06:19 #256862 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Workshop manuals JA11C
I think Haynes do a manual for the sj/samurai, don't know if it is in print or online though.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Jul 2024 12:17 - 20 Jul 2024 12:33 #256864 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Workshop manuals JA11C
Finding an official English language workshop manual for a used JDM vehicle is virtually impossible as they were never printed, however, I've seen translated manuals for some JDM Suzukis being sold on a US site, which I can't find right now, and I'm not certain if there was one for a Jimny.

James Danko is the guy that was doing the translations, a google search on his name will find you some material including a translated parts manual for the JA11 - if you're lucky you might find a service manual

That said, replacing prop shaft UJ's is a simple task and one that would normally be covered as "standard workshop practice" - I'm pretty certain you can find quite a few YouTube videos that will show how it's done.

As a first step, slide under the Jimny and take a close look at the UJs on the prop shaft, do they have circlips holding them in place? If they do, that's your first hurdle crossed, if they don't, the task becomes significantly more challenging.

www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobil...opeller-shaft-486368

From the parts catalogs I can find online, it looks like the JA11 shafts have circlips and I think your biggest challenge might be sourcing the UJs themselves, megazip.net seems to have them in stock.
Last edit: 20 Jul 2024 12:33 by fordem. Reason: add link to previous discussion

More
20 Jul 2024 19:59 - 20 Jul 2024 20:09 #256866 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Workshop manuals JA11C
Suzuki use 25.0 mm bearing caps 63.80 mm length on Samurai & Jimny, with external circlips.

The LJ80 used the same  nominal size but with internal circlips (I've never seen any tbh)

I have no idea what the JA11 used, but it will likely be one or the other.

As fordem says, have a look at the joint, if it has external circlips it will be the same as a Jimny.

If it is like an SJ, the propshaft undoes off the flange on the transfer and just pulls out the back of the gearbox. The oil won't fall out of the gearbox if the car is level, or back end up. Then you just remove the circlips then press & bash the joints out and replace following a youtube video.

I'd measure the hole in the propshaft flange to check it is 25mm, if it is 24mm you are In Trouble as there are 24.00 and 23.82 mm sizes and you would have to take  a cap out and measure properly as you wont measure to 0.18mm with it on the car.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Jul 2024 20:09 by facade.

More
20 Jul 2024 23:49 #256870 by Martin
Replied by Martin on topic Workshop manuals JA11C
Thanks very much for responding Lambert. I do wonder how much of the non engine parts are the same on the two different models?? But, I will check. Thanks again. Martin

More
20 Jul 2024 23:56 #256871 by Martin
Hi there Fordem, Thanks very much for your reply. I will slide underneath and check again. Yes, it has been a frustrating search but I will keep searching!!
It doesn't look so difficult but I wonder about having to move the transfer box to get the shaft out, torque settings for putting it all back. Also, I don't have a large vice!! He he perhaps I should buy one?? Though I do have a hammer!!! Good information, thanks again Martin

More
21 Jul 2024 00:01 #256872 by Martin
Hi there Facade, Thanks for taking the time to respond. Good information!! I will measure them!! I will try not to break anything!!! He he I do wonder if I can get it out without moving the transfer box though??? Anyway, thanks again, yours Martin

More
21 Jul 2024 00:13 #256873 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Workshop manuals JA11C
As far as I know the transfer case does not need to be removed, unbolt the jackshaft from the transfer case flange, slip that end sideways and slide the other end out of the transmission.

A large vice makes life easy, but it's not a must have - I've done it, admittedly not on a Jimny, with a couple of suitably sized sockets (one large enough for the cup to slide in to, and one small enough to tap the cup in/out), circlip pliers and a hammer.

More
21 Jul 2024 09:07 #256875 by Martin
Hi there,
Wow, that would be good. It was playing on my mind.
Over here in Japan it's really hard to find a mechanic or garage prepared to work on older cars. It's a case of "why don't you buy a new one??" My poor wife has been the translater and has suffered greatly!! He he Though she now has a larger English car parts vocabulary!!!
The fact that I may well be able to get it out without removing the transfer box has cheered me up a lot!!! It means doing it myself is back on the cards!!!
Thanks again Fordem and you others guys for you great info.
Please let me know if you I can help from Japan??
Yours Martin

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds