× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny LCV - Wheel/Tyre size question...

More
20 Jul 2024 22:59 #256868 by DrRobin
I found your Jimny on Autotrader, the tyres look very big, check the inside of the front wheel arches for rubbing and/or try it lock to lock, get out and check clearance.

Also I cannot see any front hubs (these come through the front wheels), it looks like these have been removed to fit the wheels, ask the seller how the front wheels engage or disengage? It might not have any front wheel drive or might be permanently locked, neither is desirable.

If the seller has messed with the 4WD just to fit these stupid alloys I would walk away.

Given the mileage and accessories (roof rack, snorkel) it looks a bit on the cheap side to me, especially as Suzuki have just stopped importing the Jimny.

Finally I can’t see any genuine Suzuki garage fitting this wheel/tyre set up, it would probably invalidate the warranty, it looks more like a home fit.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: richythepom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2024 23:39 - 20 Jul 2024 23:40 #256869 by facade
I've seen the blue one on autotrader, they don't look like 18" wheels to me, but I could be wrong, the photos aren't very good.

Looks a good price compared to the others, I'd get it and change the wheels to 15" or even 16" (and swap that towbar for a detachable, or wear greaves I suppose ;) )

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 20 Jul 2024 23:40 by facade.

More
21 Jul 2024 09:55 #256876 by richythepom
Thanks for the tips DrRobin - I'll make sure to do those checks :)

More
21 Jul 2024 09:57 #256877 by richythepom
Thank you Facade. The seller confirmed he'd made a mistake - the tyres are in fact 16" (235/70 R16) :)

More
21 Jul 2024 13:41 - 21 Jul 2024 13:47 #256880 by Motacilla

Also I cannot see any front hubs (these come through the front wheels), it looks like these have been removed to fit the wheels, ask the seller how the front wheels engage or disengage? It might not have any front wheel drive or might be permanently locked, neither is desirable.

If the seller has messed with the 4WD just to fit these stupid alloys I would walk away.

The wheels have caps over the hubs.  

IMO, asking the seller if the front drive has been removed qualifies as a "silly question."  Nobody anywhere has deleted the front drive on a Jimny to fit alloys.  Let's try to keep our advice to the newbies a little more grounded.  

My personal recommendation, Richy, is that you do not buy a Jimny without driving one first -- really driving it, for miles, on the motorway and around town.  You may be surprised at how different it is from most any other car on the market.  And not pleasantly surprised:  many who bought the Gen4 Jimny on the basis of its cuddly looks later popped up here to complain about its lack of motorway manners, relatively poor fuel mileage, primitive ride, etc.  

A Jimny is a great little car for a specific purpose.  Be sure you are looking for something to fill exactly that purpose before you buy one.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2024 13:47 by Motacilla.

More
21 Jul 2024 14:07 #256882 by richythepom
Thank you Motacilla, I appreciate your input. Yes, I've taken the opportunity to test-drive the model I'm planning to purchase.
TBH, it's largely for my daily runaround (not planning any big motorway miles etc. - we have a family car more suited to that).
I'd also like to have a play off road and learn how to use this functionality properly, in case ever really needed...

More
21 Jul 2024 14:25 #256883 by Motacilla
In that case, rock on.

The Jimny is as good offroad as it is bad onroad. It's a great vehicle to learn offroading with because of the wieldy size and weight, and nothing on it costs more than five quid.

It's like a 2/3-scale Series Landie except that it always starts and the pieces don't fall off. But like the Landie, it needs a certain mindset.

I hope you get a good one, and enjoy it.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Jul 2024 18:35 #256886 by Lambert

The wheels have caps over the hubs.  

IMO, asking the seller if the front drive has been removed qualifies as a "silly question."  Nobody anywhere has deleted the front drive on a Jimny to fit alloys.  Let's try to keep our advice to the newbies a little more grounded.  

My personal recommendation, Richy, is that you do not buy a Jimny without driving one first -- really driving it, for miles, on the motorway and around town.  You may be surprised at how different it is from most any other car on the market.  And not pleasantly surprised:  many who bought the Gen4 Jimny on the basis of its cuddly looks later popped up here to complain about its lack of motorway manners, relatively poor fuel mileage, primitive ride, etc.  

A Jimny is a great little car for a specific purpose.  Be sure you are looking for something to fill exactly that purpose before you buy one.

If we are all looking at the same car on autotrader then I agree that it looks to have caps on the front wheels the are far too small to allow for the vacuum hubs to be present. I definitely wouldn't put it past people to put aesthetics before practicalities and often safety, I have met members of the public before.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Jul 2024 19:31 - 21 Jul 2024 19:32 #256887 by Motacilla

If we are all looking at the same car on autotrader then I agree that it looks to have caps on the front wheels the are far too small to allow for the vacuum hubs to be present.

I'm looking at this one.  The wheels are the Gunner model from Black Rock. 

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Jul 2024 19:32 by Motacilla.

More
21 Jul 2024 20:25 #256890 by facade

If we are all looking at the same car on autotrader then I agree that it looks to have caps on the front wheels the are far too small to allow for the vacuum hubs to be present. I definitely wouldn't put it past people to put aesthetics before practicalities and often safety, I have met members of the public before.

TBH, I'd expect wheels for a 4x4 to accommodate the front hubs, likely that cap is thin plastic. The wheels look to have more offset than standard too.

The easy way to tell if the hubs are present is to start it up and let it idle, turn the air con & radio off, stop the salesman talking, open the drivers door and pull the transfer lever back into 4wd.

The hubs will go "clackclack" as they engage if they are present & working.  (The 4wd light comes on after a couple of seconds)

Wait a few seconds to make sure there is plenty of vacuum in the tank and push the transfer into 2wd. The hubs will give a softer "clickclick" as they disengage.

I'd be more concerned about cracking my shins on that towbar, it would definitely have to go.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
21 Jul 2024 21:28 #256891 by Roger Fairclough
The rim edge certainly looks as if it is in line vertically with the wheel trim and that means it is approx. 25 mm further out than standard. I would suggest the car is fitted with wheel spacers and that would probably be enough to allow the fitting of those hub covers.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motacilla, richythepom

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Jul 2024 03:30 #256892 by Lambert
The problem is that without the seller taking the wheel off this is all speculation and as a buyer I would not be wanting to find out after I had bought the car. Caveat emptor and all that. Yes it might be fine but just as likely it might not especially with the oversized tyres and other stuff done to it it might all be correct ot it might all be held on with double sided tape. Other people's problems.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds