× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

springs and shockers

More
07 Jul 2024 05:23 #256669 by paul2u
springs and shockers was created by paul2u
HI   my new to me jimny has a 2 inch lift on it just a standard lift and its fine   my problem is what happens if i break a spring or shocker  how do i know what to replace it with as i dont want to replace all four

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2024 09:23 #256670 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:springs and shockers
It's difficult to identify the brand quite often. However you would only have to replace two (same axle) rather that all four

Sent from my ThinkPhone by motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: paul2u

More
07 Jul 2024 10:17 - 07 Jul 2024 10:19 #256671 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic springs and shockers

HI   my new to me jimny has a 2 inch lift on it just a standard lift and its fine   my problem is what happens if i break a spring or shocker  how do i know what to replace it with as i dont want to replace all four
It’s a little bit of an odd question tbh.

Why do you think you’ll break a single item? And in many cases it might be worth replacing in pairs anyway.

You can try and ID what you have. But may not be easy and they may not be available in the future.

You could swap all the suspension now, either to stock or a brand/setup you know.

More of major step. Sell the vehicle and buy one with no lift or a different vehicle entirely.

Or don’t really worry about it. A shock or a spring is almost a service item. They will need replacing at some point. No matter what is on there now. They won’t last forever. So why make a problem where one doesn’t exist. Should something happen, worry about it then and solve it. 
Last edit: 07 Jul 2024 10:19 by 300bhpton.

More
07 Jul 2024 13:35 #256672 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic springs and shockers
I wouldn’t worry about the springs, wait until one breaks and then replace as a pair, if one goes another won’t be far behind and anyway they slowly compress over time, so just fitting one will give an uneven ride.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think the front drivers side spring is slightly longer?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
23 Jul 2024 09:26 #256924 by GandHisJimny
Replied by GandHisJimny on topic springs and shockers
Well for starters, do you know for certain that you have longer springs and shocks and it's not just a "body" lift? Could you just text the guy you bought it from? What about any receipts of the parts?

If you've got nothing to go on then take a good look at the shocks for a brand. Tough Dog, Rough Country, Trailmaster - anything like that. If you can't see anything obvious then there's a reasonably high chance it's an unbranded Jimnybits "Black Raptor" (light grey in appearance, compare online).

But as others have pointed out, if any of these parts brake you'd typically replace them as a pair anyway.

Jimmer II (2007 JLX+ auto in black & silver) : Android head unit, Black Raptor Steering Damper, Yokohama Geolandar G015s, rear cabin light, OEM wind deflectors

More
25 Jul 2024 21:19 - 25 Jul 2024 21:19 #256933 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic springs and shockers
For my 2 inch trailmaster lift I am currently using rear KYB grand vitara rear shocks since the germans has refused to sell anything to Norway.

I checked the compressed and expanded Lenghts in the spec online and they match just fine.
Two inch black raptor shocks are shorter than the trailmaster 2 inch lift shocks.

Easy to measure and check if you need replacing.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2024 21:19 by yakuza.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds