× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Tires for gen 3 jimny

More
04 Jul 2024 06:10 #256624 by MrBigGoat
Hey guys,
I'm looking for new tires for my gen3 jimny.
My jimny serve me as a daily driver and for offroad on the weekends.

I'm currently looking at these options:
215 75 R15 BFG KO2
they seems to have some great reviews and a long durability, but they are really expensive compered to the other options.

215 75 R15 Maxxsis AT980
They look like an AT on the more aggressive side, thread pattern reminds the BFG KO2 but they cost almost half the price.

215 75 R15 General x3 grabber
They are MT's but i heard that they are still manageable as an everyday tire.

I would love to hear your inputs if you had experience with them.
cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2024 07:01 #256626 by GandHisJimny
Replied by GandHisJimny on topic Tires for gen 3 jimny
I have a set of Yokohama Geolandar G015s and have used them for about 6,500 miles now. No problems at all, really quite like them. They're more of a "highway terrain" though so essentially a tougher, meaner road tyre than a full-blown AT or MT, which frankly is all that most people need. Only annoying thing is that they looove to pickup small stones in the treads then chuck them out at 50mph into your wheel arch.
I paid £530 for 5x 205/70 R15 fitted.

Jimmer II (2007 JLX+ auto in black & silver) : Android head unit, Black Raptor Steering Damper, Yokohama Geolandar G015s, rear cabin light, OEM wind deflectors

More
04 Jul 2024 07:41 #256628 by MrBigGoat
Replied by MrBigGoat on topic Tires for gen 3 jimny
Thanks for the feedback mate!
I'm looking for something a bit more aggressive to replace my maxxis 771 AT's, the Yokohama is as you stated is leaning more to the road side of things.

More
04 Jul 2024 11:40 #256629 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Tires for gen 3 jimny
I have experience with all 3 tyres you list.

The KO2’s are good (my brother has them on his 90), but expensive IMO and not worth the extra. Also note BFG have just launched the new KO3 AT. So the KO2 is now defunct.

I have Maxxis Wormdrive AT980’s on my Jimny. Have done 26,000 miles on them and think they are brilliant in all conditions and uses. I was so impressed that I bought the same tyres to go on the 1989 Land Rover Ninety that I use for green laning. Have been brilliant on that too. Hence why I personally can’t recommend the KO2’s. For the same money they’d be equal. Current prices and easy win for Maxxis.

I also have the X3’s on my pick up Land Rover. I wanted the BFG KM3’s originally, but couldn’t justify the price and the X3’s were cheaper, although still quite pricey. And I love the red sidewall writing.

Probably not as good as the KM3 off road but better on road.

Attachments:

More
04 Jul 2024 18:48 #256632 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Tires for gen 3 jimny
I have Maxxis Worm drives 215, etc, partly on 300BHP,s recommendation and they have been great, performed very well both on and off road. I had them fitted to my Gen 3 before swapping it for a Gen 4.

The Maxxis and BFG are a very similar price, except the Maxxis is usually a fair bit cheaper.

I also had Geolandar tyres which are great if you are mostly on road with the odd green lane, gravel or a bit of mud/snow and will give slightly higher mpg than Maxxis or BFG.

However, if you want something more aggressive or just like the look then either Maxxis or BFG won’t disappoint.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: MrBigGoat

More
05 Jul 2024 10:36 #256642 by MrBigGoat
Thanks for the info mate it was very helpful!
how does the x3 ride on road compared to the worm drive?
I'm currently leaning toward the maxxis as they seems to be the best compromise and were I'm located they are almost half the price of the BFG.

More
05 Jul 2024 13:47 #256646 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Tires for gen 3 jimny

Thanks for the info mate it was very helpful!
how does the x3 ride on road compared to the worm drive?
I'm currently leaning toward the maxxis as they seems to be the best compromise and were I'm located they are almost half the price of the BFG.
The X3 are probably as good as an MT gets on the road. Under most circumstances I would say they would be perfectly fine for daily use.

Really depends on what you are going to use the vehicle for though and how much road driving. As said, I was never really an AT person. Always had MT’s on my Land Rovers or Jeeps. But opted for the Wormdrive as a compromise due to expected commuting use. But I cannot deny how good the Wormdrives have been. No real comprise on road (they slightly blunted performance, probably due to weight and rolling resistance and must also slightly impact mpg).

If however I was going to end up in really muddy conditions more often. I’d be tempted by some MTs.

I’m almost at this crossroads myself. I want to change tyre size. Most of my driving is still on road, but I don’t have the daily commute due to working from home these days. So I’m torn on if I just get another set of Wormdrives in a bigger size or do I go for some MTs instead? IMO the latter look better and have more road presence.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrBigGoat

More
05 Jul 2024 18:10 #256647 by MrBigGoat
Yes i feel you man, one of the reasons I'm eyeing the X3 is because I'm working a lot from home.
I'm also prepared for the effect of the heavier tire compared to my 205 maxxis 771 that i have right now for the gains on the offroad.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds