× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen 4 Battery/Alternator Options with winch loading

More
26 Jun 2024 07:59 - 26 Jun 2024 08:00 #256451 by Wild Bill
Hi, because of a Warn Axon 55-S installation I am thinking to upgrade my OEM battery to EITHER:

an Odyssey ODX-AGM34R (only 2 cm longer than the 50Ah Red Top Optima but I think its a better battery and is 68 Ah with 850 CCA)

OR

2x Yuasa YBX5053 batteries wired in parallel (giving 100 Ah and 900 CCA but much bigger pain to fabricate the second battery holder right beside the normal battery mount - mine is LHD - there is a custom second battery mount for the OEM-sized battery available out of Germany but it costs a king's ransom!)

I will use a Blue Sea M-series 4 position disconnect switch which is rated 300A constant mounted beside the battery positive terminal and this will give me the opportunity to run the winch and DC-DC charger to power bank either together, separately or both disconnected when not carrying a power bank, with the winch normally disconnected. The option of both is so that I can reverse charge the battery from the power bank as and when winching to assist the OEM alternator.Back to the alternator itself. In my use case would you recommend also upgrading the OEM alternator? I intend to draw around 45A max with the DC-DC charging by manually lowering the charging maximum wattage, so no more than 50% of the OEM alternator's output, but the Ecoflow alternator DC-DC charger can go up to 800W. If upgrading, what would you recommend easiest and best to fit without requiring a lot of modification?

I would appreciate your thoughts on this! Thanks very much!
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jun 2024 08:00 by Wild Bill. Reason: formatting error

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2024 11:05 #256453 by Roger Fairclough
The following is my own viewpoint based on winching with a Gen.2 Jimny. I fitted a Rule winch with a 3,500 lb pull and found it to be adequate for all situations I found myself in. I did not fit a second battery or an uprated alternator, so I did not need any fancy - read expensive - electronics to monitor the system. My advice is always run the motor when winching, carry a snatch block and suitable straps - one a tree saver - plus a ground anchor. An extra length of cable with suitable rated shackles. This cable will help if your "natural" ground anchor is a bit further away.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wild Bill

More
27 Jun 2024 11:48 - 28 Jun 2024 10:11 #256471 by yakuza
I did this to my car: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...kuza?start=96#217746

Expanded the original battery space to accomodate the larger std size 70Ah AGM.

Four years now and still charging with the original generator. No winch here but i can run the fridge for 3-5 days depending on the temperature.

I think your very large DC DC charger options would strain the original generator. Not sure if there is such a high need for it either.
I bought the 15A charger for my trailer battery but With 15A it needs a much larger gauge wire all the way back to the charger so I regret not buying the 10A Victron as it would fit my needs perfectly. Still havent hooked it up as I have a solar panel and so far it has given me all the power I need and more.

many of the adventure seekers out there put enormous batteries in but I do not see the need to be honest. Winching however is a different current pull but still might be smart to get the correct size winch and do the math as for how much power you really need and not listen to all the boasters out there with their way too big power systems.

Here in Norway the SX4 Scross generator is 100A or 120A and should fit if I got it right. haven't tried yet though.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 28 Jun 2024 10:11 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wild Bill

More
27 Jun 2024 19:36 #256479 by Wild Bill
Hi, yes I'm thinking to leave the OEM alternator and just upgrade the battery. No worries for the Ecoflow DC-DC charger. Although it can charge up to 800W, the maximum can be set by the user. So I plan on setting it to draw no more than 50% of what the OEM generator is actually putting out, looking at both idle and say 3-3.5k RPM. This probably means setting no more than a 40A maximum for the DC-DC charger draw. If I ever upgrade the alternator it can be changed. I have been advised an alternator from Japan that can just be swapped out and gives 120A but it costs around $870 or $570 with exchange of working OEM alternator... easycars.jp/product/motorage-sc-type-hig...ator-for-jimny-jb74/

Attachments:

More
28 Jun 2024 10:09 - 28 Jun 2024 10:09 #256496 by yakuza
Check the Denso 31400-61MO it is 100A and may fit. I am planning on buying one from a scrapper to see if it fits my gen3, may fit the gen 4 too. Most euro car parts web shops have a detailed drawing of both so you can see if it is close enough.
For my Gen3 I will need to fiddle with the connections but the physical measurements looks OK. For me 100A generator would suffice.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 28 Jun 2024 10:09 by yakuza.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds