BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Weird brake noise after extended brake lines....

More
11 Mar 2024 14:40 #255004 by 300bhpton
I know a few of you on here have fitted a lift to your 4th Gens, so I assume have also fitted extended brake lines.

I fitted some new suspension at the weekend (I'll add a separate thread for this). Part of the kit was fitting extended brake lines front/rear.

Brakes all bleed and feel fine with a good pedal. However, if you park up on a bit of a slope and use the Hill Hold feature, when you lift your foot off the pedal it now makes a weird screeching creaking sound. The feature still seems to work, but must be related to having drained and bleed the brake system.

Any suggestions on the cause or more importantly what I should to to resolve? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2024 15:14 #255005 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Weird brake noise after extended brake lines....
Hill Hold usually just maintains pressure in the brake lines for a few seconds so, in theory, nothing should happen when ypu remove your foot.  It sounds as if air might still be in the system somewhere.  I have seen it suggested that going onto a gravel road and triggering the ABS a few times may help.flush the ABS controller.

More
11 Mar 2024 19:58 #255017 by Soeley
Did you actually drain the system?

I just put piece of clingfilm under the cap, replaced the front hoses and bled until the air stopped (it didn't take much fluid at all). I then went for a test drive to make sure the brakes were fine before doing the same for the rear hoses. That way if I had a soft pedal, I'd sort it before continuing to the rear.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2024 20:13 #255018 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Weird brake noise after extended brake lines....
Using a broom handle or similar to hold the pedal down also works, as it closes off the reservoir.  The clingfilm trick never did it for me when I changed all the hoses on another car, and the whole lot ran out.  Luckily the system had no ABS and it refilled without an issue.

More
11 Mar 2024 20:42 #255023 by 300bhpton

Did you actually drain the system?

I just put piece of clingfilm under the cap, replaced the front hoses and bled until the air stopped (it didn't take much fluid at all). I then went for a test drive to make sure the brakes were fine before doing the same for the rear hoses. That way if I had a soft pedal, I'd sort it before continuing to the rear.
Yes mostly drained and refilled. Pedal feels really good and brakes work as before, it is only when you use the Hill hold. When I pull up at home I sometimes run a wheel up the ramp by the front door a little, brake pedal down to stop and hold the vehicle in place, handbrake on, as you lift your foot up, it makes this quick screeching creek sound while the pedal moves up. I've tried doing it without the handbrake and same noise, but the vehicle will hold as per normal for a few seconds before the Hill Hold releases.

I've not tried the ABS yet, will try and do this tomorrow.

More
12 Mar 2024 01:18 - 12 Mar 2024 01:39 #255029 by Hughes
Drained the entire system or just the reservoir? Sounds like the ABS Pump/system needs bleeding. I try not to let ABS brake reservoirs go dry or let air into the system as they can be a right PIA to bleed properly. 

Side note: never actually thought about it as mine is a 2008 non ABS, I guess the ABS pump actually pressurises the lines for hill hold rather than blocking ports to hold line pressure. If it the OP's vehicle squeaks with handbrake on or off does that suggest hill hold still engages with the handbrake applied? If it does, that seems a little bit dangerous to me, as if the handbrake failed or was not engaging properly (or even out of adjustment), the vehicle would roll away when hill hold released, potentially catching someone unawares as they were half out the door / not paying attention. I could be completely wrong though.
I turn that kind of stuff off if I can (No need in my jimny as it doesn't have it ) as I am regularly in and out of the vehicle opening/shutting gates etc. and would rather not have a vehicle try to think for me. 
​​​
​​​​
​​​​​
Last edit: 12 Mar 2024 01:39 by Hughes.

More
12 Mar 2024 07:06 #255030 by Soeley
Applying the handbrake cancels the hill hold.

More
12 Mar 2024 07:40 #255031 by yakuza
A tip when servicing the brakes is to depress the pedal half way and stick something between the seat and the pedal to keep it there. This closes the reservoir from the brake lines so it cant run dry and minimize how much fluid runs out of the system while the lines are disconnected.
Also a wice grip on the brake hose can be a trick but careful it has no sharp edges and by all means remove it when you are finished before driving. (note to self, i have done that)
Less air is let into the system and less work to get the air out after.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds