BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Virgin Jimny owner - be gentle.

More
22 Feb 2024 09:16 #254506 by DrRobin
There is no guarantee that a cheap key from eBay will be physically the same.

As Roger says it is easy enough to get the key recut and I have heard it is possible to take the immobiliser chip out of the old key and put it in the new key.

The remote itself is possible to reprogram at home.

An alternative is you buy a new key with remote, remove the key and just use the remote, then use your old key in the ignition.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2024 11:04 #254507 by rogerzilla
I bought a supposedly genuine Suzuki key from an eBay shyster.  The blade had the wrong profile and the plastic bits were thinner and brittle.  The only bit I was able to use was the cover with the Suzuki badge.  They don't call it the Bay Of Thieves for nothing!

More
22 Feb 2024 17:05 #254515 by Jamento
excellent. thank you.

More
26 Feb 2024 05:21 #254590 by Hughes
Regarding the intermittent full beam indicator, mine had this too, plus the air bag light had the same issue. Its 2 x screws to remove the instrument cluster bezel, (which is a pain to squeeze out as the steering wheel can't be tilted down) then IIRC its pretty easy to get behind the cluster and find the loose plug. Can't remember if i took the cluster out as well or reached behind. IIRC, the plug for high beam is basically behind where the light itself is on the cluster. I was expecting to pull half the dash apart to fix mine but found it unexpectedly easy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jamento

More
26 Feb 2024 08:17 #254594 by Phaeton

If you can't get the CL working, then you can fit a £10 Chineesium one off Fleecebay
You're referring to a suzuki standard CL key fob right?

No I'm referring to having a seperate fob & wiring in a new unit behind the glovebox

More
26 Feb 2024 11:59 #254601 by Jamento
Thanks, Hughes.

More
13 Mar 2024 19:32 - 16 Mar 2024 11:51 #255062 by rogerzilla
An update on keys.

I enquired at Timpsons.  Most branches can cut you a key and clone the immobiliser chip but you won't get a remote unit.  If you want remote function (the remote on our gen3 is worn out) some, and only some branches can supply a fully functional key.  The cost is £149 for a generic key and £260 for a genuine Suzuki one.  The difference is the Suzuki logo

Update: just for a laugh (so I thought), I phoned the local Suzuki dealer.  £179.78 for a genuine remote key, coded to the car and all working.  They need to see the V5 and driving licence, and the car needs to be booked in.  So that wins on value terms, I think.

This was for a 61-plate Jimny.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2024 11:51 by rogerzilla.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds