BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Virgin Jimny owner - be gentle.

More
12 Feb 2024 18:26 - 12 Feb 2024 18:32 #254250 by Jamento

Putting the key in the drivers door, should lock/unlock all of the doors, if it does then it has central loocking and it's working.

If a new battery doesn't fix the remote then either:

- The remote key fob is broken;
- The remote key fob needs re-programming in to the car controller;
- The remote controller in the car has a fault.

See the wiki page about remotes
www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/Key...g_transmitter,_alarm

Robin
That's brilliant, thanks so much. Yes the key in the drivers door does unlock all so that's great to know it has CL. But could I find a CR1616 anywhere today? Nope. Off to Amazon I guess. Fingers crossed it works but now you've supplied me with extra info, I know what to do if it doesn't.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2024 18:32 by Jamento.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2024 18:31 #254252 by Jamento

Interesting that you say the Isle of Wight doesn’t have many Jimnys for sale as at one point I use to call it Suzuki island as they were everywhere and I could understand why as it’s the perfect car for buzzing around the lanes and towns. 
Really? Ours had to be an automatic so perhaps that's why we had to wait eons. 

Now the island is Mini & Land Rover island. Can't move for the bloody things. 

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2024 19:00 #254253 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Virgin Jimny owner - be gentle.
Isn't it because the IoW is full of older people?

More
12 Feb 2024 20:07 #254256 by Phaeton
If you can't get the CL working, then you can fit a £10 Chineesium one off Fleecebay
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jamento

More
13 Feb 2024 18:29 #254266 by Jamento

Isn't it because the IoW is full of older people?
It certainly is if you go to places like Sandown. Cowes on the other hand is quite hip nowadays dontchaknow. New Wimpy just opened and everything. 

More
13 Feb 2024 19:06 #254267 by gv42
And I have been to the IOW 12 times and love it

More
13 Feb 2024 20:12 - 13 Feb 2024 20:14 #254270 by Scimike
Hi and Welcome.
RE central locking - if a new battery doesn't help try cleaning the buttons.

Ours stoped working, it was dirt in the surface mount buttons. Remove the PCB and soak the two buttons in contact cleaner, work them repeatedly unit they start to "click". Let it dry and do it again! Note a quick spray with cleaner will do nothing, you do need to press the buttons when submerged in cleaner.
Took three cleans to get ours working, but been fine since.

Worth a try.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 13 Feb 2024 20:14 by Scimike.

More
13 Feb 2024 20:29 #254275 by DrRobin
Scimike should have plugged Halfords Electrical Contact Cleaner, it's very competitively priced and in my opinion excellent as it evaporates and leaves no residue unlike something like WD40, which leaves an oily film.

I first used it as a Carb/intake cleaner, even used it to clean my MAF sensor on my other vehicle, electrical contacts (of course) and really good at getting grime off plastics or precious metals (like a watch for example).

Since it leaves no residue it is generally safe for most electronics, some sprays will track up the side of semiconductors (ICs or Chips) and destroy the internals, but this seems safe.

I haven't been to the IoW since the late 80s, I had two windsurfing trips there staying on the south west of the island, loved it.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
16 Feb 2024 20:23 - 16 Feb 2024 20:23 #254385 by Jamento
Just catching up. You've all been so very helpful and I just wanted to say thanks.

What a palaver getting a CR1616 battery. For some reason no Amazon battery sellers would ship to the island. Mental.

Hopefully when I try it tomorrow it will work, if not I'll try the deep clean mentioned and if the worst happens, fit an el cheapo one from ebay.

I can't find a replacement wing mirror that doesn't need spraying so can anyone recommend a good place to get a can of spray for suzuki? Guessing the mirror comes primed. 
Last edit: 16 Feb 2024 20:23 by Jamento.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2024 21:04 #254386 by rogerzilla
I got some bluish black metallic from eBay and it was a very good match.  A slight mismatch would be less noticeable on a mirror - I had to do a corner of the roof and part of the tailgate.

More
21 Feb 2024 21:21 #254504 by Jamento

If you can't get the CL working, then you can fit a £10 Chineesium one off Fleecebay
You're referring to a suzuki standard CL key fob right?

Thought I'd give this a go before I try Robin's advice and get rogered by the Suzuki dealer.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Feb 2024 06:44 - 22 Feb 2024 06:45 #254505 by rogerzilla
The key has three elements:

1. The physical key blade, needed to turn the ignition barrel and the door locks

2. The immobiliser chip, built into the plastic body of he key.  Without this, the ignition barrel will turn but the car won't start

3. The central locking "pod" inside the key, which is removed to change the battery.

Most locksmiths can cut a new (1) and an aftermarket (3) can usully be coded to the car using a particular sequence.  However, an afternarket (2) cannot be coded to the car by the user.  It has to be cloned from a working immobiliser key.

Basically, don't buy a whole key if only the remote CL isn't working.  Just get the internal pod with battery.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2024 06:45 by rogerzilla.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds