BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Removal of Jimny instrument panel to change speedometer face plate to MPH

More
29 Jan 2024 10:40 - 29 Jan 2024 10:43 #253864 by Motacilla
Kermit will probably not be disassembling the speedo, for the reason I noted above: there isn't a source for components.  This is what the instrument panel page looks like in the Suzuki parts book:

If an MPH instrument panel is indeed necessary, the entire pod will have to be replaced and most likely will need programming by a Suzuki dealer.

Just in case it is on people's minds as they read this thread, it should be noted that -- in addition to being necessary to change the instrument pod as a complete unit -- it is also typically not possible to fit a secondhand instrument pod in a car of recent vintage.  This is because the controllers inside the instrument pod communicate with other components on the car at power-up, and if an instrument pod from another car is fitted it will typically be rejected by the car's computers.  This will typically result in an odometer error message -- which I'm assuming neither your insurers nor the MoT man will like.  Cars today are configured like this to hinder unscrupulous people dialing back a vehicle's mileage.  I mention this only so that someone in the future, bringing a foreign Gen4 Jimny into the UK, doesn't just assume that they can buy a secondhand MPH instrument panel and plug it right in -- in a modern auto, that usually doesn't work.  I have never tried it in a Gen4 Jimny, and I suppose one never knows, but I'd advise caution.

On the plus side, for Filipao, that means that secondhand instrument pods for newer cars will typically be very cheap, being essentially useless -- so if you can find one for a Gen4 Jimny, it won't cost much to experiment with getting it open and removing the little speaker that makes the indicator noises.  
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Jan 2024 10:43 by Motacilla.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2024 02:15 #253945 by Filipao
@Motacilla

Sounds great, thanks for the hint. Will look into a used one miles or km/h.

Thank you!

More
16 Mar 2024 11:58 #255104 by Wild Bill

Those are just pretend fasteners to make it look retro.
The whole pod pulls out somehow, then you will have to dismantle the clocks from the back.

It is much easier to just get used to the kph scale. You soon learn 32, 48, 64, 80, 96 & 112, I rode a grey import 'bike for years.

There is no MOT fail criteria for a kph only speedo.

My understanding now is that as part of the vehicle import it has to have the speedo changed to read in MPH.  You are right though, it won't fail the MOT, the speedo isn't checked for correct operation at the MOT.  However, it is illegal to have a non-working speedo.  A bit of a grey area that.

A personal import (of a less than 10 year old vehicle), or any left hand drive vehicle has to pass the basic IVA test, where the speedo is inspected (and the newly fitted rear fog light on a JDM checked it has the correct e markings ;) ) The inspection is still for compliance with a Euro directive AFAIK, where it must be marked in 10kph increments, but a vehicle marketed for sale in a country still on imperial measurements has to have mph on it as well- a dual mph/kph scale.

My interpretation is that a kph only speedo on a vehicle not originally built for the UK market would pass the IVA.  
Grey imports used to come with nasty stickers on the speedo glass marking 30, 40, 50, 60 & 70. I'm not sure if these were just a convenience thing for the new owner, or were put on to ensure it passed IVA (or whatever it used to be then), even though not strictly necessary- I suppose if you are fitting them anyway, it might as well be before the test as after.

The MOT only checks that the speedo is present, looks as if it will work and lights up, unless it has to be road tested for the brakes (permanent 4wd and anything with a haldex- you might even find that some use it on a Gen 4 as it has "Allgrip" on the back), when they would notice as they couldn't tell it was doing 20mph for the Tapley meter.

A speedo that shows the vehicle speed is working, even if the indication is in kph, you just remember that 10mph = 16kph

Anyway my advice to the OP is not to mess. It is easy to break something very expensive changing the scale card, and it isn't necessary.

Hi, it Iooks to me reading the IVA Basic Inspection manual that unfortunately a speedometer that can read in MPH is required instead of an EU-approved KPH only gauge. Please correct me if I'm wrong since I would love to just leave it KPH only, but it appears that I too need to therefore replace the dial with a MPH/KPH one. I was thinking to try to source a used UK instrument cluster, not to use it, but only to rob the OEM speedometer dial out of it instead of using the aftermarket ones which do not have the exact factory quality nor type face (which is why they seem to sell them in matching pairs with the rev counter so at least they look the same). If any one can tell me how I can avoid this with the IVA for a European LHD or has any leads or could point me in the right direction to find a used instrument cluster in the UK I would greatly appreciate it!

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

More
17 Mar 2024 12:50 #255118 by facade
Yes, I read all that eventually, and it contradicts itself, but it appears that you do need MPH markings to pass IVA.

I'm not sure if stickers will do as the speedo has to illuminate, and in the dark stickers on the glass wouldn't show up.

Seems stupid to me, as the originally fitted km speedo works perfectly and it is trivial to convert the MPH limits to kPH, but I didn't get to make the rules.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
17 Mar 2024 20:01 #255128 by Wild Bill

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds