× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Welding on a 2000 Jimny

More
11 Aug 2023 08:00 #250219 by Debbie1
Hello, I'm new here and i wanted some advice from other Jimny owners. 
My 2000 Jimny is due for it MOT in December, I was told on the last MOT that i needed some welding done. i went to the garage on Monday and the garage man has told me i need extensive work on sills, wheel arches, and iv got holes in my boot, i also have a corrosion near a mounting to the chassis. I've been quoted £800 pounds for the work. I am also noticing blue smoke sometimes on start up but not every day. Should i fix her or should i let her go? take in mind i do love her.
I have over the year spends a lot on her, i have even fixed her automatic gearbox a few years back. i had her about 6 or 7 years now. HELP!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2023 11:11 #250224 by monstarghs
Replied by monstarghs on topic Welding on a 2000 Jimny
ask yourself this can you get a better car for less than the cost of the repairs and upkeep? also with the amount of surface rust i would suggest spending some funds to sprat a rust converter then spraying the underside of the car with oil to help lessen the spread of rust. also maybe regular underbody washing when salt is on the roads

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Aug 2023 17:06 #250232 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Welding on a 2000 Jimny
Looking at the pictures I would suggest that the 800 quid is for mot level welding which is usually only a temporary job for a couple of years. You say you love your Jimny which many of us do but do you love it enough for a proper restoration which will probably cost thousands not hundreds but will give you an as new Jimny, I know I would.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
25 Aug 2023 13:53 #250511 by GandHisJimny
Take a look at my thread, restoration work on a 2005 automatic: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/7-jimny...read-idiot-proof-diy

I'm in £3k at this point but it has got me a whole new boot panel & crossmember and soon to be rear arches and undersealing (dropping off for more work on Monday, hence no updates to post yet).

Looking at your pictures you really need to pull off the side panels and take a proper gander + pics for us. Also, I hope you're not using the rear seats (for anyone you care about anyway) because the belt mounting points are in that neighbourhood. That's what really pushed me to get it done - I couldn't in good conscience take pals around in it knowing what the bolt anchors looked like.

Jimmer II (2007 JLX+ auto in black & silver) : Android head unit, Black Raptor Steering Damper, Yokohama Geolandar G015s, rear cabin light, OEM wind deflectors

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds