BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Gen 4. Conversion to 4 seats

More
05 Jan 2023 20:07 #246704 by Artie
 I found this on You Tube if anyone is interested.      Woodstock Car Sales  Gen4.  Conversion to 4 seats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2023 06:54 #246739 by Motacilla
Very interesting! I was surprised when they said at the end of the video that they could do the conversion in one day -- I would have assumed that there was some welding required (with associated paintwork etc).

Here's the link for those interested.  Not my kind of thing but I could definitely see a market for it.

More
07 Jan 2023 08:57 - 07 Jan 2023 09:34 #246741 by mlines
In my opinion it seems a bit of a kludge. It does not fully reproduce the actual Jimny installation. They do not solve the curtain airbags issue, the side impact strengthening and and seat belt pre-tensioners. In the picture the seat belt spools are connected to the seat mountings rather than the factory positions within the rear pillar. So it is basically a bolt in complete rear seat unit only

So it is a solution and no one has come up with a solution before. I would check with your insurer before fitting

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 07 Jan 2023 09:34 by mlines.

More
07 Jan 2023 13:41 #246744 by Roger Fairclough
Also as you are converting a van into a passenger vehicle, I imagine you would need to advise the DVLA of the work that has been done and then they will advise you as to the tests required to conform with current legislation regarding seat and seat belt mountings as well as problems with your insurance company. This could turn out to be a bit of a minefield.

Roger

More
07 Jan 2023 15:17 #246746 by lightning
Probably cheaper to sell your Jimny Commercial and buy a used SZ4

The SZ4 s a fair bit cheaper to buy used as most want the SZ5 but it's very similar to the Commercial

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jan 2023 17:47 #246749 by Grima
Replied by Grima on topic Re:Gen 4. Conversion to 4 seats
How MAD is this !!!!!!!!!!
Read GOV.UK, reg's on fitting rear seats in a van. You don't need to fit rear seat belts. (unless there under 12 years old.) So no need for air bags or side impact protection.
It's all in black & white on the GOV / DVLA web site.
Happy Reading.

More
07 Jan 2023 18:28 #246750 by mlines
Its not mad.

You are correct, it is legal.

However a Jimny is small in the rear so it is likely to be used for children , not adults. Indeed, the conversion states it is ISOFix compliant.

People should be aware that it is built to a different specification to the factory build which will be particularly relevant when it is sold on again to a more unsuspecting owner.

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
08 Jan 2023 12:49 #246762 by Motacilla
The Isofix thing was another surprise to me, as I thought that required welded lands/hooks (what do you call them) but this installation is apparently not welded. Or is it? Perhaps the person with the conversion will join the group. I suspect there's only one so far, the video that Artie posted only went up just before the holiday.

Maybe Woodstock's will become a site co sponsor and will come here to tell us all about it.  

More
08 Jan 2023 14:15 #246763 by mlines
ISOFix is built into the seat frame and then the seat frame is bolted to the floor which is pretty much standard on all cars nowadays. As standard there is a bolt hole missing on the LCV which is probably remedied with a hole being drilled and a strengthening plate fitted ( although the "genuine Suzuki" fix would be changing the underfloor cross member for the SZ5 version)

Martin

More
08 Jan 2023 20:57 #246767 by lightning
As my previous comment which was skipped over

Do it properly
lf you want rear seats sell your Jimny Commercial and buy an SZ4 or SZ5?

More
09 Jan 2023 10:01 #246771 by Motacilla
My mistake, Martin -- I thought these welded square loops were the Isofix points in a Jimny.  I don't have little people to chauffeur, so I'm not familiar with these things...

File Attachment:

More
09 Jan 2023 11:36 #246772 by mlines
I think you are correct with the Suzuki factory seats, But it is very common for the seat frame to have them built in

Martin

Martin

The following user(s) said Thank You: Motacilla

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds