BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Fitting [Jimnybits] Radius Arm Protectors

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
13 Aug 2022 20:06 - 13 Aug 2022 20:19 #244529 by DrRobin
Along with the front tow points I bought from Lambert I also bought his radius arm protectors.  In keeping with these parts they don’t come with instructions but it turned out to be straight forward.

The smaller of the brackets go at the front.

Jack up the Jimny using the chassis rail and put a axle stand in.  The retaining nuts are quite tight so you might want to slacken them first.  I used an electric impact driver so jacking first gives a bit more space.

Use another jack under the radius arm to take the strain of the bush and remove the existing bolt.  Jiggle the tension of the radius arm to allow the bolt to come out easily.  The protectors fit over the chassis brackets and have two large washer spacers to fill the gap.

Try not to move anything between removing the old bolt and fitting the new one otherwise the alignment might be lost.  Tighten the main bolt to hold the protector in place, then drill the additional hole using a 8.5mm drill.  Tip drill the back first as you will never line it up by drilling from the front only.  My drill wouldn’t go in square on the front brackets and needed a small file to get the M8 bolt through.

Fit the M8 bolt and tighten both bolts.  Basically I put the main bolt in as tight as I could manage.

Repeat for the rear.

I put all of the bolts in with copper grease to protect the threads and make sure they come out, if needed.

Then do the other side.

It took me about 3 hours, but was very hot so took my time.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Aug 2022 20:19 by DrRobin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2022 20:30 - 13 Aug 2022 20:30 #244530 by Soeley
I got the Gen4 version for my 2019 Jimny and they don't require the drilling of an hole for the extra bolt, which i am glad of to be honest. Although some other brands do, and some have a tab that fits into an existing hole in the chassis. 

This was the first mod I wanted to do seeing how easy the stock mount can get bent.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2022 20:30 by Soeley.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Aug 2022 05:12 #244531 by Lambert
Good to see they are being used instead of gathering dust.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds