BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

The tyre review thread.

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Jul 2022 05:20 #244082 by Lambert
It's occurred to me that while a very individual and entirely subjective and even occasionally divisive subject,"what tyres work?" Is a fairly common question. To that end I think to invite recommendations here. If it gains traction as a thread I may pin it.

Vehicle, mechanically standard late gen3 with traction control running 205.70r15. farm use combining grass, sealed surface, gravel and rocks. Occasionally shallow mud. 

Bridgestone dueler HT. Factory Japanese version, very average. Equally incompetent on all surfaces. The ride quality deteriorates as a function of tread depth.

BF Goodrich urban terrain. Brilliant tyres work well in anything less than wet clay. Quiet too. You are paying for the performance though. Not cheap.

Radar renegade at5. wow. Quite loud but meaningful levels of grip even in really quite deep mud as long as they can get to a firm layer. On gravel and rocks it's like gravity gets the day off and you can go wherever you want with ease. Far too good for such a cheap tyre.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2022 08:25 #244083 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic The tyre review thread.
I currently run alloys with Geolandar AT for the summer and alloys with Hancook Dynapro ATm for the Winter. Dynapros look a similar tread pattern to the Renegade AT5, perhaps slightly more tread on the side walls, I guess they are about the same price.

I used the Geolandars at last years meet up and the wheels lost grip a couple of times on a steep hill (failed to get up one on the first two attempt) and in the soft stuff. The Dynapros never lost grip at all this year on anything, so I would say that was a +1 for grip.

On road the noise and fuel economy is pretty much the same between the two. I would say that the ride is slightly better with the Dynapros and there is less steering movement, but that might be down to better tyre balance or age (they are about 12 months newer).

I would have gone BFG KO, but that means 215 and then I would need to use a 205 as the spare, might be okay for short journeys, you don't often get flat tyres these days.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
15 Jul 2022 08:15 - 15 Jul 2022 08:17 #244091 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic The tyre review thread.
Wow, what a brave and difficult subject. It's almost impossible to offer any comparable reviews, the most I can offer is tyres I have fitted.
Standard G3 and tyre size.
Yokohama Geolandar AT.
Find they are great on road and in the wet. Light off road use also fine. A better tyre in snow than Dueler, same fuel use and noise level. No problem with the added weight and forces when towing. So would fit again.

​​​​​​So Geolandar is better than Dueler in snow, that's all I can say for sure, after that I could tell no difference. They are both round and black!

​​​​​​

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 15 Jul 2022 08:17 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Jul 2022 08:49 #244093 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic The tyre review thread.
This is all I was expecting, people sharing what they have and how they like them or not. Judgment is reserved for those buying any given tyre. Like I said very subjective.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
15 Jul 2022 09:43 #244094 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic The tyre review thread.
Great idea for the thread @Lambert

In terms of my tyre experience. A little limited on Jimny's, but I've run lots and lots of tyres on Land Rovers over the years.

General Tyres Principles:

1. I've found in the UK on most terrains, narrower tyres then to work better for most off road situations. They tend to 'dig' in better. Other benefits may include, lighter more free steering, better steering lock, less unsprung mass and improved fuel economy on the road. Fitment is often easier with a narrow tyre over a wide one.

Downsides. Sometimes narrow tyres don't look as good or even a bit awkward. Aftermarket rims are often too wide for narrow tyres. And a general lack of available narrow tyres, especially  tall ones. Road holding may not be as good and more tyre roll likely.

This isn't to say there isn't a place for fat or wide tyres. They too can work well. And at times when you want lower ground pressure or a wider footprint they are going to be the best choice. Meaning, there is rarely one single tyre that will work well at everything. It will always be a compromise depending on terrain, use, fitment & price.

2. Tread type, being road, all terrain and mud terrain. Although there are arguably 2 other categories these days; hybrid AT tyres and 'Extreme' mud tyres.

Road 4x4 tyres - I have very little experience with. But I'd follow similar principles as I would for a saloon car.

All Terrains - these cover a wide base of tyres. From very mild road biased, to fairly aggressive. Arguably an AT is often a jack of all trades and master of none. Meaning you can use them for anything, but they might be a compromise for a huge array of situations. Sand, dry rock, gravel and hard packed roads are often where an AT will work best.

Mud Terrains - These will generally have larger lugs than AT's and larger lug separation. They are more focused to off road use, but many can still be quite good on the road.

Hybrid AT's - Really these are just an aggressive AT or a mild MT. But there does seem to be more or this type of tyre being available. They often have aggressive looking lug designs, but actually have quite narrow lug separation, thus giving much more road contact area.

Extreme Mud Terrains - These are just Mud Terrains on steroids. Mostly you find these patterns on the remould tyres. But there are some 'new' tyres that offer very large lugs and huge lug separation.

Tyre Reviews

Brand & tread:Bridgestone Dueler H/T 684 II (standard JB74W fitment for UK)
Size: 195/80R15
Class: Road biased
Remould:N
Vehicle: JB74W Jimny SX5
Recommended: Yes, if you already have them.

Comments:

Factory fitted tyres. Decent on the road in all conditions, quiet and good for fuel economy. Not really an off road tyre, but they worked a lot better on wet grass than I'd have thought they should. As good as some road biased AT's. They look a tad boring and ordinary.

Brand & tread: Maxxis Wormdrive AT980
Size: 215/75R15 & 255/70R16
Class: All Terrain
Vehicle: JB74W Jimny SX5/Land Rover Ninety
Recommended: Yes

Comments:

Sometimes seen as a budget BFG KO2. Although the tread patterns are actually very different when side by side. These are at the 'aggressive' end of the AT spectrum. I have been very impressed with them. On the road they are quiet and comfortable. They handle well (the car moves about on the lugs a little more compared to the factory Bridgestone, but only under extreme cornering). They work well in the wet and snow. And most of all they have really surprised me off road. They work in mud, chalky clay and other soil types a lot better than I'd have given an AT credit for. So much so, I bought another set to put on a Land Rover Ninety. Very good all round tyre.

Brand & tread:General Grabber X3
Size: 33.10.50R15
ClassMud Terrain
Vehicle: Land Rover 88 coiler

Comments:

These have red lettering which appeals from a style point of view. So far impressed with road manners, they are better than most remould MT's on the road. And quite good off road too. I'd see these more as a very aggressive AT to mild MT pattern. You can drive them anywhere and everywhere. You could have them on your daily driver. They are good enough off road that I'd consider doing a trials competition with them if I was feeling lazy about swapping them over. However, they are too mild for really deep mud and wet conditions off road.

This size should be narrow for the height, but they are still quite a fat tyre. IMO they are more road friendly than a BFG KM3, but not quite as good off road.

Brand & tread:Kumho Road Venture MT51
Size: 255/70R16
ClassMud Terrain
Vehicle: Range Rover p38a

Comments:

A milder Mud Terrain than something like the General Grabber X3, but more aggressive than most All Terrains. Visually very nice tyres. Work well in the snow due to having sipes. And generally very good road handling, wet or dry. Slight more noisy and less refined than something like the Maxxis Wormdrive on the road. A nice daily driver MT.

Brand & tread:Goodyear Wrangler MT/R (factory fitment for Defender 90)
Size: 235/85R16
ClassMud Terrain
Vehicle: Land Rover Defender 90 Tdci
Recommended: No

Comments:

These are factory fitted for the Defender 90. The tread has been about for a long time. MT/R actually standard for Max Traction Radial, not Mud Terrain. Goodyear label them as 'extreme' tyres on their website. IMO they are hard wearing tyres, but very poor at most things. Road holding is ok, but they are very nosy on the road. Way more than almost any other Mud Terrain I've run. They don't work in the snow very well, have no sipes and on chalky or clay like mud they are completely hopeless off road.

Brand & tread:BFG KM3
Size: 255/85R16
ClassMud Terrain
Vehicle: Land Rover Defender 90 Tdci

Comments:

Very good tyre. OEM fitment on some vehicles. They use a special rubber compound, but they do lack sipes. Not used them in the snow. But I think they would be pretty good to ok use in the UK for snowy conditions. Very acceptable on the road, although not quite as smooth or quiet as the General Grabber X3. Very capable off road in soft or wet muddy conditions. Probably one of the best off the shelf 'new' MT's you can get. But somewhat pricey!

Brand & tread:Blackstar Guyane
Size: 7.00 x 16, 7.50 x 16
ClassExtreme Mud Terrain
Remould:Y
Vehicle: Land Rover Ninety/88 coiler/Series III

Comments:

Very nice tall, narrow and aggressive MT. Works very very well off road and ideal for trials events. Works brilliant in a wide array of terrain types. Better on the road than you'd think, but more suited to vehicles that off road a lot. Availability currently very challenging.

Brand & tread:Malatesta Kougar
Size: 235/85R16
ClassExtreme Mud Terrain
Remould:Y

Comments:

This is a copy of the Interco Bogger tyre from the USA. However in this size you don't get the same lug separation as you do on the original. A nice tall tyre for its published size. Very good off road in some conditions, sand and soft soil they excel. They work less well on wet grass unless it is very boggy. Side slop grip might be less also. For such an extreme tyre, they are quite tractable on the road. But do have some road noise.

Brand & tread:Michelin XZL
Size: 7.50 x 16, 8.25 x 16
ClassMud Terrain

Comments:

Somewhat of an old tread pattern these days. But developed for the military. Also available in a 'true' narrow 7.50 size. In many ways they are out matched on an off road by many other tyres. They do making a humming sound on road and won't be the best in the wet. Off road wet grass is not their forte. But they work better than you'd think. A very strong and durable tyre, ideal for green laning IMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, yakuza, Bill Portland, Soeley

More
01 Jun 2023 14:21 - 01 Jun 2023 14:42 #249376 by Paul4A
Replied by Paul4A on topic The tyre review thread.
It’s just been pointed out to me that the tyres on my partners gen 3 Jimny are starting to crack due to age, despite having loads of tread left.  It’s a road only use car and If buying new I might go for Vredestein quadatrac all season tyres at  Camskill  at about £75 each.   But, I’ve been offered some not too old part worn General Grabber AT3 tyres at a reasonable price.  I’ve not seen them yet and wonder if anyone can advise from experience on their suitability, including noise levels for road use.  I have found  this review  which suggests they’re poor at dry braking and dry handling which is off putting.   But it’s not exactly a fast sports car.

thanks in advance,
Paul

1999 T registered Jimny. Early G13BB SOHC engine.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2023 14:42 by Paul4A.

More
02 Jun 2023 06:12 - 02 Jun 2023 07:29 #249387 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:The tyre review thread.
Paul4a

If you want standard tyres, taken off a new car so very low miles ( I can't remember exactly the miles before they were changed) then I have 4 tyres here in Berkshire, £100 the set.

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 02 Jun 2023 07:29 by mlines.

More
02 Jun 2023 07:49 #249388 by Paul4A
Replied by Paul4A on topic Re:The tyre review thread.
Pm sent

1999 T registered Jimny. Early G13BB SOHC engine.

More
02 Jun 2023 08:02 - 02 Jun 2023 08:06 #249390 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic The tyre review thread.
I like wider tires as i find that for my offroad driving if they start to dig down I get stuck. I run out of tire diameter fast if there is wheel spin so I need to float, more than dig down. For the road use this is not any advantage but still..

I have used BF MT on my SJ and Jimny Gen3, BF AT on Sj and VW T5. One BF MT on the Jimny has wear in steps at the lugs making it noisy, and the BF AT on the T5 is very noisy from uneven step-wear on the lugs from bad wheel alignment.

have had wobble and wheel balancing issues on SJ and Jimny mostly from too lage and heavy tires and offroading with very low tire pressure, 0.4 bar.

For road use the BF MT on wet pavement is not good when the rubber gets hard from around three years of ageing.
325-60-15 on the SJ was surpricingly good on the road. I guess you could call them low profile tires as the side wall is lower than the width, making them run good and more fitting to road wear and tracking.

All in all very pleased with BF MT/AT except for the lugs getting uneven wear in some conditions.

Been using BF MT 325-60-15, 31x10.5x15 on the lifted SJ and BF AT 215-75-15 on the original SJ410. have also had BF AT 31x10,5x15 with studs for winter use. I have not tried extra cutting siping for winter use. BF MT is not and must never be allowed to use in the winter here in Norway. BF AT is not a nordic winter tire either and should not be allowed here but not sure if they have the snowflake three peaks marking now.

I use only Nordic Winter tires for the winters here in Norway and would strongly advice anyone coming to Norway in the winter to change their tires to Nordic Winter Tires. BF AT is not a winter tire here. Here the only issue being discussed is studs or not. modern nordic winter tires without studs should be fine for most nordic winter conditions but for wet ice the driving speed must be reduced. And for all winter driving check the tire pressure more often as temperatures vary much.
For winter road use a wider tire is not an advantage as they tend to float more on slush and snow. Reduce speed if so.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2023 08:06 by yakuza.

More
02 Jun 2023 20:29 #249398 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:The tyre review thread.
Paul4a

Will get the details for you in the morning

Martin

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul4A

More
04 Jun 2023 19:02 #249420 by lesgrandepotato
Maxxis 771 AT’s

Bought to replace the factory original duelers that were 19yrs old. 
Fine on the road no noticeable downsides. Have used them in a number of offroad tyro trials. We’ve podiumed every time despite most others running on MT’s. 
I’m pleased with them. Looking forward to seeing what difference the BFG KM2’s on the SJ make. 

More
18 Jul 2023 11:26 - 19 Jul 2023 07:06 #249901 by Buzz
Replied by Buzz on topic Re:The tyre review thread.
My Gen3 is a road use car and needs the duellers replacing.
I was thinking of Quatrac all-seasons too but also wondering if I should go all-terrain, maybe falken at3sw. Would be miserable to get stuck in muddy field because of tyre choice.
Just wondering how much worse (noise, ride, wet grip) AT tyres are compared to OE HT tyres.
Any thoughts or advice?
Buzz

PS leaning towards the Cooper Discoverer AT3 Sport 2 - good price, 3PMSF, C wet braking (as good as all seasons seem to get) and < £100
Last edit: 19 Jul 2023 07:06 by Buzz.

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds